Hello

Hi my name is Rebecca 

I have a son of 18yrs named Pj who is on the Autistic spectrum has dyslexia and struggles in life, so much so a wk ago he attempted to hang himself from our banister at home and ended up in intensive care. 

His reasoning for doing this is because he struggles so much to understand the world and make sense of how he is feeling! 

we have always had help through Pjs school years but since leaving school we have kind of just plodded along thinking we were all dealing with things ok, then bam out of the blue I get the dreaded phone call to say my son is fighting for his life in an induced coma with damage to his brain and a collapsed left lung! My world completely crumbled beneath me! I had no idea pj was feeling like this! 

he is always so happy, walking around the house singing and Dancing and being our little clown. 

pj is now home and we are awaiting support from the community mental health team and The Autistic team. He has no memory of the event itself and is suffering nerve damage to his left arm! Other than that he will make a full recovery. Its a miracle that we will not take for granted. 

so I have joined this group to meet with others who have children that deal with similar struggles n life to us and I hopefully get some support and advise.

As I am sure you can imagine I’m really struggling to process the events of this last wk or so and could really do with talking to people who can understand the everyday struggles we as parent face. 

thank you for reading

Becky x

Parents
  • Hi Becky, I'm so so sorry your family is in so much pain right now. Wishing Pj a speedy recovery. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling or how it felt getting that phone call. I'm autistic and also have an autistic child who is 15 and it's my worst nightmare. My daughter seems to be coping but definitely struggles a lot. She has a lot of meltdowns, time off school from exhaustion and burnouts and I'm so scared about what the future holds for her. Even though school is hard, it still provides her with structure and knows what is expected of her, whereas when school finishes, the world can be a big scary place for anyone, especially NDs and I really hope she will be OK. I hope the cmht step up their game and provide Pj with the support he needs. Do you know if there was anything in particular he was struggling with before it happened or was he just completely overwhelmed? Thinking of you all and here if you need to chat. Sorry I can't be more helpful x

• Hi Becky, I'm so so sorry your family is in so much pain right now. Wishing Pj a speedy recovery. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling or how it felt getting that phone call. I'm autistic and also have an autistic child who is 15 and it's my worst nightmare. My daughter seems to be coping but definitely struggles a lot. She has a lot of meltdowns, time off school from exhaustion and burnouts and I'm so scared about what the future holds for her. Even though school is hard, it still provides her with structure and knows what is expected of her, whereas when school finishes, the world can be a big scary place for anyone, especially NDs and I really hope she will be OK. I hope the cmht step up their game and provide Pj with the support he needs. Do you know if there was anything in particular he was struggling with before it happened or was he just completely overwhelmed? Thinking of you all and here if you need to chat. Sorry I can't be more helpful x

Children
No Data