Hi everyone (introduction post)

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to you all. 

I'm Harry, I'm 34 and I'm currently self-diagnosed and on the waiting list for an "official" diagnosis of autism. 

I've wondered about it for many years, ever since (ironically) I worked as a support worker for autistic teenagers and really saw aspects of myself in the way they perceived and interacted with the world. But, it didn't seem to bother me much day to day (or so I thought) so I never bothered seeking a diagnosis. However, the impact of the Covid pandemic and associated loss of routine and mental health impact made me really stop and think, read a lot, talk to friends who are autistic, and go - oh yeah, that's definitely me and maybe I'm more affected than I thought! So I decided to seek a diagnosis so that I can receive the support I need to manage my mental health properly and develop strategies to not only cope, but thrive, in work and in my daily life. 

I wanted to join the community to learn more about life with autism, and how to support myself. My big difficulties are work (managing my workload, trying to avoid getting overwhelmed, managing sensory stuff) and communication with loved ones. 

I'm married to my husband and butler to our large ginger cat son, Cyril, who is a menace but we love him! My special interests are also animal related - cats and donkeys are my current faves! - and I also love Cold War history and Sherlock Holmes. 

I'll check out the different forums, but just wanted to say hi, especially to my fellow LGBT+ people and cat butlers (cats definitely own you, not the other way round!)