Hello !!!

Hello!

Within the last few months I found out that all my sons and I are autistic. I self diagnosed, but now have a doctor's diagnosis too. It threw me into an emotional roller coaster of relief and questioning who I really was (>>masking). I am in my early forties and have been diagnosed with some mental illnesses before that never explained my behavior.

I am on disability retirement now but make lots of art, I love color.
Also I am very interested in spirituality and play the harmonium.

About being autistic, my favorite trait is probably that I am able to focus intently on whatever catches my interest.
The least favorite are my sensory processing problems, not because meltdowns are not worse, but because they are with me every moment.

This has been on my mind lately: Who - of the people I have known - have autistic traits, and that this person may have been masking too.
(What a non-necessity of spent energy!)

buddhacat

Parents
  • Hello and welcome to the community! I love your cat, so cute :) 

Look forward to seeing you around here.

Enjoy your time and I hope to hear more of your interests.

• Thank you.
    He is a cutie. I read some study that oxitocin helps young autistic children be more sociable.
    Snuggling with a cat would do something similar maybe?

• We had a Therapy Dog for years.  She was a regular visitor to a ward where patients had been detained under the Mental Health Act.  The Consultant in charge used to be a huge fan of Therapy Dogs and did a presentation on them to a medical conference in Australia, if I remember rightly.  She told us something like "for many of my patients and for about XX% of the time Roxy is cheaper than drugs, more effective than drugs, faster acting than drugs, and longer acting thatn drugs."  The dogs bring down heart rate, help people relax, reduce stress and promote the sort of mind state which facilitates healing.

• We had a Therapy Dog for years.  She was a regular visitor to a ward where patients had been detained under the Mental Health Act.  The Consultant in charge used to be a huge fan of Therapy Dogs and did a presentation on them to a medical conference in Australia, if I remember rightly.  She told us something like "for many of my patients and for about XX% of the time Roxy is cheaper than drugs, more effective than drugs, faster acting than drugs, and longer acting thatn drugs."  The dogs bring down heart rate, help people relax, reduce stress and promote the sort of mind state which facilitates healing.

Children
  • Sounds great, on the humorous side: I used to have a dog, she brought my heart rate up by barking at any dog in sight. But I get it. A therapy dog sounds like a great opportunity for some. I have thought often: If I could just bring my cat, I would be ok. But my training in the first year was not good enough, He doesn't like to go places. Like 99 % of cats, huh !?