virtual hello

Hello NAS community!

I apologise, I hardly ventured in the virtual world.

I dislike chatting.

I never used Facebook, Instagram, social media, chat forums etc.

I feel anxious when posting to an unknown and unseen audience.

I am not used to chat-style.

I am not very eloquent in writing, I do hope I am doing the right thing.

Why posting to an anonymous audience when my nature is to keep to myself? 

What would I expect, how will others respond? 

Waiting for the assessment is becoming unbearable.

I read several books (including P. Wylie Very Late Diagnosis), did all relevant tests many times (consistent HFA). 

Having talked to my GP I was referred two months ago but have no date for the assessment yet. 

Being undiagnosed but already beyond midlife feels awkward, yet familiar.

The trauma of being untimely, as I was in school.

I lost two years due to asthma and allergies after we had moved from my native home town, my routines and my identity. 

What encouraged me for asking for an assessment?

I was properly diagnosed with dyslexia three years ago, a late but liberating experience, although painful.  

One not so selfish reason is, one of our grown-up children clearly shows signs and struggles with life. 

The one who is most like daddy.

Once my suspected HFA is properly assessed, it could be of great help not just for me but for her (and grandchildren).

How did I suspect HFA?

I teach in HE.

Past few years I had several students with disclosed high functioning autism (Asperger's).

Their stories were my stories, except that during my childhood and adolescence there was not much empathy or understanding for children being out of the norm.

Rather the opposite, with applied operant conditioning (at the time corporal punishment).

I guess many of my generation might have had similar or worse experiences.  

Back to my initial questions, what do I expect and who should respond?

It might be helpful and supportive to have contacts and to hear experiences from people in a similar situation, midlife and beyond. 

How they approached and how they dealt with such a very late diagnosis.

Who are concerned about their unaware / undiagnosed grown up children (and grandchildren).     

I particaurly would welcome feedback from people who are HFA + dyslexic, which I experience as a paradox.

As mentioned I am dyslexic, please could responses be with spacing and not too long?

Thank you very much!