Online ASD assessment due to pandemic

Hi everyone, I'm Christine, my son has been offered an assessment for Autism (he is 19) but due to the pandemic, it would be carried out online.  I am wondering whether any of you have been assessed this way and what it entails. I would have thought being assessed via zoom would not give very accurate results and are there any practical tests that are carried out if you are not physically in the same room as the assessors.  Thanks for any help.

Parents
  • It depends on who is doing the assessment. I had an online assessment over a secure connection. I had an AQ test to complete, plus a very detailed questionnaire (and one from my wife, I have no living parents). Then I had a two hour assessment with a consultant psychiatrist. No practical tests. It was a very positive experience.

• Thanks for the prompt reply.  We too have the AQ test and the other information sheets to complete.  It is an NHS referral.  I wonder if many people are assessed and then do not receive a diagnosis of Autism?  2 hours is a long time and I'm hoping my son can sustain the assessment for this length of time.  

• If it is any help, the psychiatrist told me he would be giving me an ASD diagnosis about 20 minutes into the assessment.

Reply Children
No Data