Hello

HI everyone

I'm Paul and have just realized that I am autistic at the age of 53 after watching the program about Paddy and Christine McGuiness. 

Various AQ tests give me quite a high score but don't seem to have the same level of social anxiety that some have.   Maybe my ignorance of my autism has made me get used to situations but it does explain why certain events have caused me such stress in the past.

The news has hit me a bit like a train at the moment and trying to assimilate the knowledge is very hard and emotional not just for me but for my wife.  I have just finished reading Autism in Adults by Dr Luke Beardon and I very much like his relentless optimism about autism and the way he just sees it as just different rather than a condition.

So my next dilemma is to decide whether to get a formal diagnosis.  Is it worth it and does it have any actual value? I know I am autistic and there is no doubt at all now I have done a bit of research.

Anyway nice to be part of the forum hello to everyone.

Paul

Parents
  • Welcome to the forum.

Only you can decide if you want it in writing that you are Autistic. I think if you know, you know. For me, I want it certified, as I deal in facts. I start my process this month.

Like you, it hit me pretty hard. I had no idea up until the moment I realised, despite battling for my daughter at the time to get a diagnoses from age 11. (She was diagnosed at 17, last month privately, after being told she wasn’t autistic at age 15 by the NHS Rolling eyes)

• Thank you Catlover it's nice to find a forum to talk about these things. I would like it certified but I am wary of the negative view taken my some in the medical profession.

In many ways knowing is a big relief as it explains so much.  It must be hard for both you to assimilate everything and fight for your daughter at the same time!

• It seems some will say look, you’ve got this far not knowing, why do you need a label? I don’t see it as a label. I see it as knowledge.

If I had a rash on my body, that no one saw but me, I’d seek a diagnosis for it.
    I don’t think many people would realise I may be Autistic, but I see it, and I would like a diagnosis.
    If you do go ahead, the results are for you. You don’t need to tell anyone or share it unless you wish too. I ignored my thunderbolt moment for a year. This resulted in a burn out. Took me almost a year to get my life back, but it’s still not the same. However I did manage to put myself forward for testing., which is bringing its own challenges and anxiety….

• Thanks Catlover I have to agree, all knowledge is good and I will be positive throughout the process whenever it starts.  I am still at the GP referral stage at the moment so very early days.

Also that is good advice about not waiting, I don't want to regret not asking for a diagnosis and it would be nice to talk to a professional who knows the subject.  

• Thanks Catlover I have to agree, all knowledge is good and I will be positive throughout the process whenever it starts.  I am still at the GP referral stage at the moment so very early days.

Also that is good advice about not waiting, I don't want to regret not asking for a diagnosis and it would be nice to talk to a professional who knows the subject.  

Children
No Data