First Timer Seeking Advice

Hello, 

My name is John, I live in north London with my family.

I am a new member posting here for the first time.

I would love to get some advice from you.

My brother lives alone and has done so for the last 15 years.

He has lived in his flat all his life.

He has recently scored very highly on the ‘autism’ test.

I am not surprised as I have suspected autism for a number of years. 
(What is surprising is that his GP never suspected)

He has severe social anxiety so is very isolated and lonely.

There is also a hoarding issue, which I am currently trying to deal with.

He also recently had a psychotic episode resulting in hospitalisation for over 2 months.

His home is in need of a complete upgrade.

Everything needs doing - new kitchen, bathroom, central heating, flooring, rewire etc etc.

I have found a building company to do the work.

This is a great opportunity to get his home just right for him.

What should be incorporated in the design to meet his needs?

For example, are there colour schemes that are ‘autistic friendly’?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• I just thought about this, but if your brother has light sensitivity issues, to have lights that could be dimmed to different levels of brightness could be helpful. I also block out windows when there's too much light or sounds coming from outside. 

• Thank you very much for your helpful ideas. I will definitely take them onboard. 

• Ps that's a really kind thing you are doing

This ↑↑↑ !

Many autists struggle with bright light so I would suggest discussing ideas like gentle background light, possibly with dimmers. Seperately switched task lighting where relevant. Black out curtains in the bedroom.

Similarly noise can be an issue, so plenty of soft curtains, rugs if not carpeted, bean bags or puffy sofas to absorb sound etc.

• When we decorated my sons bedroom, we let him see a few choices online and in the shop. It was a real eye opener. Things I thought he would like he didn't and vide versa. Depending on his sensory preferences he may like soft fluffy cushions, light colours with larger patterns. My son didn't like smaller patterns or geometric as it 'was too busy and hurt his head'... I would pick a time when he is comfortable and not stressed. Show him some images online, and if possible buy 2 types bedding to let him feel them. Thing like that have to be felt so he knows what he likes.... Ps that's a really kind thing you are doing. Good luck x

• Thank you for your input.

Yes, my brother knows exactly what’s happening. He’s asked me to clear it. It was pretty much uninhabitable in it’s previous state. 
    Sometimes I bring him to the flat where he’ll see what’s going on.

It’s not easy of course but he can see and understands how necessarythis is for his general well being and long term health. I realise his needs may differ from others. 

Thanks 

• Every autistic individual is on the spectrum, so his needs might differ from someone else's needs, so you'll likely have to get his input if you want to create a suitable space that's specific to his needs.

And also, it's kind of concerning for me to hear how his entire flat is going to be changed and rearranged on him, and what about the items that he's been hoarding? Is it just going to be all thrown away without his knowledge?

He had a psychotic episode so he's at the hospital, but did he agree to getting his flat changed? And why are you asking what designs would meet his needs, when that information should come directly from him? Because we don't know what his specific needs would be, as that's different for every autistic person. 

I just imagine a scenario, that he's at the hospital, so you're taking the time to clear out his flat and make it brand new before he returns, as a form of a surprise. I don't know if that's truly the case, but I'd say that he could either be very happy, or very upset by having his environment completely changed on him without prior notice or consent. 

I mean I only mention that, because a family member of mine who was hospitalized for a few months, and other family members and relatives decided to throw away her belongings that they thought she didn't need, she lost her old apartment without her knowledge, and they tried to put her into a new building in a new apartment.

She was so distraught once she realized all of this, she said "I lost my home... my home. I lost my favorite items. I lost everything." And she went into a great state of depression, that doctors were like "We can't help her if she's not trying to help herself," and they just left her in depression. The doctors didn't know she just lost everything of hers, and family was too ashamed to mention it to anyone. Then the family said that she might be able to get her old apartment back, and that gave her motivation to get up and to do stuff, believing that the faster she recovered, the faster she'd get to go home. But when she realized that it was all a lie, and she won't get her home back, she fell back into a deeper depression. She was grieving everything she lost that was familiar to her, her home and her belongings, and everything she knew that she couldn't get back. It was almost like she felt homeless. After she passed away (due to old age), I kept momentos that reminded me of her favourite things she lost, just to remind myself of her.

I mean I can't say for certain how your brother might react. He might like it and appreciate it, or he might just get really sad. I don't really know. But if you wanted to change his flat around, I just hope he knows about it, and that you're working with him on it so it's not a complete shock for him.