female adult diagnosis

I'm new to the site.  Someone has said to me that I might be autistic and I am currently thinking about getting a diagnosis.  I have been to the GP already who is willing to refer me.  It all seems so scary though and I'm not sure whether to proceed or not.  Am afraid to make a fool of myself in case they don't believe me when I say that I can identify with the behaviours.  Does anyone have any advice?

Parents
  • You are you, and you'll be still be you after a diagnosis.  It's a a diagnosis, not a test that you have to 'pass'.  You aren't applying for a job or trying to join a team.

Your mindset - 'will they  believe me?' - is based on a misunderstanding.  A diagnosis is really not a question of whether anyone believes you.  Don't try to 'convince' the diagnostic team of anything - that amounts to an attempt to skew the diagnosis, and there's no point in you receiving a skewed diagnosis.  Just be honest.

It's a totally dispassionate process.  If you aren't autistic but you feel different there may be something else that applies to you, and you should know.  Knowing allows you to navigate the world more successfully.   

Whether you are, or not autistic, wishing you all the best and hope you learn something about yourself.

PS - if you're doing this through the NHS, stand by for a very long wait.  

• You are you, and you'll be still be you after a diagnosis.  It's a a diagnosis, not a test that you have to 'pass'.  You aren't applying for a job or trying to join a team.

Your mindset - 'will they  believe me?' - is based on a misunderstanding.  A diagnosis is really not a question of whether anyone believes you.  Don't try to 'convince' the diagnostic team of anything - that amounts to an attempt to skew the diagnosis, and there's no point in you receiving a skewed diagnosis.  Just be honest.

It's a totally dispassionate process.  If you aren't autistic but you feel different there may be something else that applies to you, and you should know.  Knowing allows you to navigate the world more successfully.   

Whether you are, or not autistic, wishing you all the best and hope you learn something about yourself.

PS - if you're doing this through the NHS, stand by for a very long wait.  

Children
No Data