Question On Diagonsis

hello, i (female teen) was recently was told by my long term psychiatrist that she suspects i’m autistic and on the more concentrated side of the spectrum. booked in for my assessments, but it is very likely i am (i’ve been thinking about it for a couple of years now)

i am worried that i will get a diagonsis of Asperger’s syndrome, rather than ASD, because i know that the UK hasn’t fully stopped using that term. that term makes me uncomfortable because of Hans Asperger.

have anyone on here been recently diagnosed with Asperger’s, or do they use ASD for more recent diagnosises?

Parents
  • In my experience this terminology is simply useful to Neuro-Typical individuals. 

It seems there is only a dive into research with a noticeable deficit. So, all kinds of biological complexities have been discovered by those who are affected to an extreme.

From much of the current body of research it simply appears there are 2 Very Broad ways of perceiving, experiencing, understanding and relating with/to the world around: Autistic and the Neurotic (neurotypical). The autistic brain tends to be a bit more analytic and the neurotic brain tends to be more social-tribal. They're both good for society. But with how society has changed so drastically in mannerisms, expectations, consumerism, etc., it seems that there is a marginalising of autistic-brain types. 

Francesca Happé at Kings College has been perplexed why the older generation are not always interested in a diagnosis. And the changing of how humans relate to one another in society could be one of the reasons the autistic brain is more 'noticeable' than before.

I wouldn't put too much weight on Hans. That was another time where some people managed to escape, some got sucked in and it was too late. The order was conform or die, which is a terrible decision to have to exist in. While I still have little sympathy for someone proud to be a Nazi, it's an experience none of us want to live through. x

• In my experience this terminology is simply useful to Neuro-Typical individuals. 

It seems there is only a dive into research with a noticeable deficit. So, all kinds of biological complexities have been discovered by those who are affected to an extreme.

From much of the current body of research it simply appears there are 2 Very Broad ways of perceiving, experiencing, understanding and relating with/to the world around: Autistic and the Neurotic (neurotypical). The autistic brain tends to be a bit more analytic and the neurotic brain tends to be more social-tribal. They're both good for society. But with how society has changed so drastically in mannerisms, expectations, consumerism, etc., it seems that there is a marginalising of autistic-brain types. 

Francesca Happé at Kings College has been perplexed why the older generation are not always interested in a diagnosis. And the changing of how humans relate to one another in society could be one of the reasons the autistic brain is more 'noticeable' than before.

I wouldn't put too much weight on Hans. That was another time where some people managed to escape, some got sucked in and it was too late. The order was conform or die, which is a terrible decision to have to exist in. While I still have little sympathy for someone proud to be a Nazi, it's an experience none of us want to live through. x

Children