Hi, Newbie here...Looking for a listening ear...any support welcome

Hi, I'm New Here. 

Hi all, 

I can't believe I'm sat here writing this. I have waited so long for a diagnosis for my 5 year old son. Its finally come the diagnosis 'Autism Spectrum Disorder'. I still haven't quite got my head around it. Although I'm happy we finally have the diagnosis another part of me is heart broken. (No disrespect to anyone at all) I just cant help but think about the what if's and how his life will be. 

He has lots of other underlying issues such as social communication difficulties, sensory issues, separation anxiety and lots of allergies as well as an eating disorder. He is only 5 and I feel as though - what more can be  thrown at him. Other than this he is a happy go lucky, loving 5 year old boy who has his whole life ahead of him. I am extremely thankful for this and so proud to be his mummy. 

I just cant seem to shift this awful feeling. I don't even know what it is. I question myself - Is it anger? guilt? frustration? 

I just feel so deflated as a mother right now. 

Sorry for rambling on....just trying to take it all in. 

Thankyou 

Parents
  • Welcome.

Autism may send your son down some alternative paths compared to NT folk, but it does not preclude a happy and fulfilling life - especially if he is armed with the knowledge of his autistic strengths and weaknesses (and the support of a loving mother).

Please don't be sad.

• Welcome.

Autism may send your son down some alternative paths compared to NT folk, but it does not preclude a happy and fulfilling life - especially if he is armed with the knowledge of his autistic strengths and weaknesses (and the support of a loving mother).

Please don't be sad.

Children
No Data