Hello! Unsure and undiagnosed...

Hi, I'm 25 and this is my first time writing here. About two months ago, after speaking with a counsellor, I had a referral sent off for an Autism Diagnosis. I am aware it takes a long time but are there any updates throughout the referral to diagnosis journey? Is there a chance that said journey stops here and I'll never know? My counsellor has promised to update me as soon as anything happens although explained that I may be contacted directly.

Ever since my teenage-years I have thought maybe, maybe I could have ASD but never actually went anywhere with this until now. But now the wheels are actually in motion, I have a lot of anxiety surrounding the matter. I have completed the AQ50 which came back with a suggested "significant" traits. I'm unsure of how this result actually describes me - the AQ50 seemed largely based on social struggles and feel like a lot of the things I'm "concerned" with were missed from the AQ50. If I reach the diagnosis stage, I worry that (for lack of a better phrase) I won't be considered "Autistic enough" for a positive diagnosis. I wouldn't say I'm relying on a diagnosis, but I feel almost embarrassed or I suppose, too shy, to call myself self-diagnosed although I commend those of you that do. I suppose part of me feels like I'm faking it because I don't have that official green-light as such. I fear that in order to be believed and supported, I need that paperwork to back me up. Right now I feel like people think I'm trying to be something I'm not. But if I do have a diagnosis and it comes back that I'm not, where do I turn then? I have always felt and have always been told I'm different to the people around me... So if it's not ASD then why? - and where do I begin to find out...

I've done a lot of reading on here before actually creating a profile myself, and along with research regarding the different things I struggle with.. I have found myself to be very confused as to whether my struggles are valid or not. I would say I do definitely have traits, but I would also say that a lot of the experiences I have read from you all seem far more intense than my own but on top of that I have a number of different things I struggle with that I'm not sure whether or not they are ASD related but I don't know who or where to get answers from.

Apologies for the rant/vent. I've never had the opportunity to air my feelings properly to people that may actually be able to give me some friendly advice without a diagnosis... Thanks for reading if you got this far  Yellow heartYellow heartYellow heart

Parents
  • the only way to know is to go for a diagnosis.  You'll  get a autism diagnosis or not but either way the information you get from the diagnostic team will be very valuable in highlighting the issues you currently have.

in my case a NHS pathway 

1. after a year  from my GP referral, i was asked by letter to attend a preassessment interview discussion

2. 3 months later i was then asked to attend the assessment

there was no updates before 1 , between 1 and 2.

After the assessment  i waited a few weeks for a statement/letter arrived  saying  I was on the spectrum " then i was asked couple of weeks later to attend a reading of my report.

• the only way to know is to go for a diagnosis.  You'll  get a autism diagnosis or not but either way the information you get from the diagnostic team will be very valuable in highlighting the issues you currently have.

in my case a NHS pathway 

1. after a year  from my GP referral, i was asked by letter to attend a preassessment interview discussion

2. 3 months later i was then asked to attend the assessment

there was no updates before 1 , between 1 and 2.

After the assessment  i waited a few weeks for a statement/letter arrived  saying  I was on the spectrum " then i was asked couple of weeks later to attend a reading of my report.

Children
No Data