Learning to be a Personal Assistant-Please Help!

Hi everyone!

I've just joined the community and I'm excited to be a part of it. I'm 37 and from England but currently living in Outside the UK where my wife is a teacher and I'm currently a Teaching Assistant in Primary.

I have around 7-8 years experience working as a carer. I've recently been offered a job as a Personal Assistant to a 17 year old 'A' who is on the Autism spectrum (Firstly, let me apologise if I use any incorrect or out of date terms, I'll happily be corrected and educated!). This is an incredibly exciting role for me as I know I have the skills to assist A.

His parents have essentially asked me to help him transition from a Secondary School environment to something more independent and focussed more on life skills as they feel he isn't suited to further education in the traditional sense. So, collaboratively, we'll be putting together a schedule of life skills, academia etc. with an aim to have A equipped with the tools to at least live semi-independently when they return to the UK in 2 years.

If any of you have any advice or resources that could help me build this schedule then please share,there is a wealth of information out there and I'm already drowning a little. Similarly if I can help anyone just reach out. I'll be sure to share anything I create with you all if you think it would be helpful!

Have a great rest of the week!

Parents Reply Children
No Data