Making friends via gaming

Hi, my daughter (21) would like to make friends with people with similar interests via gaming. She is on a 2 year break from university due to severe anxiety, agoraphobia and feels isolated but at the same time finds social interaction exhausting. She is really getting into pc gaming using games from Steam, but also has ps4. I was trying to do a bit of research for her to find best ways. I found something called Discord sites but I couldn't work out how to make sure it's a friendly site. My daughter is pretty savvy about keeping herself safe online so wouldn't be in danger of exploitation. However, she would find it upsetting if someone she felt she'd started to make a connection with turned out to be not very nice. She's stopped playing ps4 games online because of in game behaviour of a few people. She does find it hard to trust people now. She finds it easier to connect with people if there is a shared interest. Does anyone have any suggestions of appropriate ways to connect via gaming?

Thanks 

• Thanks for all these suggestions. I'll sit down and have a proper read through of all the information. I know from what my daughter has said she doesn't like pvp games because she finds them stressful. She prefers cooperative mission type games. I know she is on discord but says that she doesn't connect with anyone because she has no friends to connect with. It's either that she doesn't know about joining groups (seems unlikely) or she is nervous of joining random groups. I know that she has thing (which I also have to some extent) where she feels she has to be "invited" to join something. I think she is very sensitive to rejection and doesn't like to "impose". She plays most of her pc games on Steam. Are there Steam game groups on Discord? I have to approach this carefully and respectfully with her as she is an adult and I don't want to seem patronising or interfering to her. She has pda also so I don't want finding friends to be a pressure. Thanks again for your help.

• I suspect that is how google is making money

• Great. That must surely be the next step, getting app users to watch ads without them realising it...

• most annoying about them are the ads, even to play sudoku I need to watch at least one, so I writing my own atm

• me too, I spent years playing Earth & Beyond, than WoW, than Eve Online, currently suspended because I decided I need to educate myself further, so I'm fixating over acquiring new data:P mobile games are an distraction when on a break at work

• Uggh! Mobile gaming is not for me. Small amounts taken from every phone in China have made mobile gaming the best income stream for developers. I'd rather my large pair of screens at home than a tiny, blurry screen on the bus thanks, haha.

• I never pay for gaming, no need, NTs are always behind, except those new reap-offs on mobile where they can buy and revive without limit, those I don't play

• hah I do that do, different password for every account, no need to memorise :), only you know the key to decode it

• Be careful of games like this - they are invented to 'nickel and dime' you at every corner - if your willpower is good you'll never give them any money - but they are designed to part you from yours.

• Gaming is a very pleasurably absorbing interest, I'm a life long gamer starting with pong in the 1970s when I was erm .. younger.

When PvP (player verses player) games were becoming mainstream from the 2010s I saw immediately that there was an aggressive testosterone driven one-upmanship conducted by the male majority. But there you have it, a primarily male designed arena for normal childish male learning aggression. The substrate hasn't changed much except from becoming "more aware" of an increase of female players. For me PvP is what makes games bad (unless you're into PvP of course and if you are, more power to you) - it was always about us vs the machine for me, PvE (player vs Environment).

There is a greater presence of women in gaming today but the field is still very much male driven and targeted. But regardless, this is fantastic news, girls playing video games with boys. Community driven RPG's (Role Playing Games) are less transient than PvP gangs, more relaxing, just as exciting and make more meaningful and longer lasting virtual relationships.

Discord is the modern way to have a friend's list. As games are more prevalent, gaming communities go to new games every so often so Discord is a way to keep track of your gaming friends across several games. Better Discord channels are moderated decently in my experience. Unmoderated channels ought to be avoided, there are many official channels for games fans, dedicated to a single game, that you can join and still maintain your gaming friends list. I've used several of my own channels where like minded individuals are on private chats. Before Discord TeamSpeak3 was the go to VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol).

I use several anonymous email accounts for my gaming accounts. I have separate unlinked accounts for paying for services in those games and for buying more games.

Use formulaic passwords - that way you'll never forget a password to an account.

• Discord is a messaging platform. It's an application that you download and you make an account. You can add Friends to message privately or join a group (You find groups on the internet).  You can talk through Text or Microphone.  You just need to look for a good group to join. but I mostly use Discord to keep it touch or connect with people that I game with and not meet people on there. But there are lots of groups you can join.

MMORPG games can be good for socializing as you can make groups and undertake "mission" / "Quests" with others. There's downtime between where you joke around and chat

Guildwars 2 And Elder Scrolls Online are good ones as they arn't subscription based
    Or Destiny if she's into First Person Shooters

You then find people on these games then you can connect on platforms like Steam and Discord so you can arrange times to play.
    If you need more genera specific recommendations then just ask.

There are always chances of meeting people who arn't nice gaming. I'd say avoid competitive games againts other players and focus on co-operative experiences with players working together to compete against the game. Or "player versus environment" (PvE)

• Discord is used by a lot of PC gamers. There is a lot of groups that she may be able to find. Depending on what games she likes she could find a streamer she likes as they usually have their own Discord channel and a community of people who interact in it. Twitch could be a good place to start with this to find something

• Thanks for your help. 

• or if she likes turn based strategies, there is many of them these days, you can play on PC or on a mobile, probably tough it takes longer to make friends since you play solo, 

I used to play https://om.forgeofempires.com/ it looks like it is still running

• I did my fair share of online gaming years ago, when internet and gaming were only beginning to crawl, but I am out of touch now, so I do not know what is popular, and for sure she is looking for a game that is being played by others.

online because of in game behaviour of a few people.

that is the case of games with voice communication, all console games are, not all PC games.

games are populated by NTs, and they have no restraints when it comes to language, when there are no repercussions