Mid assessment for ASD, not knowing how to ‘be’ anymore.

Hi everyone,

since beginning my assessment very recently, I’ve been elated, confused, grief stricken, plus a whole array of other emotions. Now, after seeing my life in the past, through new eyes, I can see how my behaviour has never been Neuro-typical. It’s a wonderful realisation, to know exactly why I’ve spent my whole life struggling with everything, but now I’ve lost all confidence in how to communicate. I feel dumbstruck. I hate upsetting or offending anyone, it’s a trait at the heart of me and now I don’t know how to behave, I’m extremely confused. I can’t help feeling ‘masking’ throughout my life (I’m in my 50s) has made me a fraud, someone I don’t know anymore.

Parents
  • I feel exactly the same. I've just been diagnosed at 56.

All the feelings you mentioned chime with me.

I'm hoping I'll settle down to be a better person. If I can hold the boat steady long enough

Unfortunately I've got the added problem that my partner of 20 years who I have kids with, is due to leave me in next week or so. 

I haven't told her about diagnosis as feel she might use it against me somehow. Blame it all on my condition.

On the other hand think I should tell her, as might be part of our problems.

• I feel exactly the same. I've just been diagnosed at 56.

All the feelings you mentioned chime with me.

I'm hoping I'll settle down to be a better person. If I can hold the boat steady long enough

Unfortunately I've got the added problem that my partner of 20 years who I have kids with, is due to leave me in next week or so. 

I haven't told her about diagnosis as feel she might use it against me somehow. Blame it all on my condition.

On the other hand think I should tell her, as might be part of our problems.

Children
  • It might not change your situation. But just knowing the diagnosis has helped me and my partner of 20+ years put a lot of my past behaviours and decisions/mistakes into context.

It doesn't explain everything, and doesn't excuse anything, but is surely a big part of it.