Hey there...

Hi, I've just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I am Marti, 35 and am currently on the long, long NHS waiting list for Autism assessment, having been referred on from a GP, then been for the initial assessment. 

WinkAlthough I obviously haven't got any official diagnosis at this point, the more I research, analyse myself and hear other peoples accounts the more it feels like I have finally have some answers and understanding about who I am and why I act/feel the way I do. I do now fully believe I am on the spectrum with Asperger's/high functioning autism. No mouth

I have massively struggled with anxiety and depression throught out my life, but particularly in the last few years and am currently on antidepressants. It was only earlier this year that I randomly came across something (I think on Facebook) about autism and nothing had ever made more sense to me. It's still all very new, and confusing, and I still feel very lost as to who I truly am, but atleast maybe have, and excuse the cliché but some light at the end of the tunnel, which I didn't before.

Thank you for creating this community and I hope I can get more understanding of this myself and in time maybe help others too. This is probably alot more long winded than its supposed to be, but to summarize...hello! :) 

Marti

Parents
  • You are most welcome, we all have problems here and, very often, anxiety and depression are huge parts of that. People on the Spectrum often suffer more than the "neurotypical" where mental health is concerned, a fact which I am no exception to. I was diagnosed with high-functioning Aspergers Syndrome in my 20's, but, while it explained a lot, it hasn't done much to help me cope with the issues I have to deal with. I'm on anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications to get me through the day, I've been on anti-depressants for years now because I got so on I essentially couldn't function day to day. I wish I didn't need them, but I do.

What I would say is that meeting and talking to others who have problems similar to yours helps, it has helped me. There are things you can do that will help you manage and cope available on the website here-and advice is available from people like us if wanted.

What's best of all? You are no longer alone. Welcome.

• You are most welcome, we all have problems here and, very often, anxiety and depression are huge parts of that. People on the Spectrum often suffer more than the "neurotypical" where mental health is concerned, a fact which I am no exception to. I was diagnosed with high-functioning Aspergers Syndrome in my 20's, but, while it explained a lot, it hasn't done much to help me cope with the issues I have to deal with. I'm on anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications to get me through the day, I've been on anti-depressants for years now because I got so on I essentially couldn't function day to day. I wish I didn't need them, but I do.

What I would say is that meeting and talking to others who have problems similar to yours helps, it has helped me. There are things you can do that will help you manage and cope available on the website here-and advice is available from people like us if wanted.

What's best of all? You are no longer alone. Welcome.

Children
No Data