getting an autism diagnosis as a teen girl

hi everyone, I’m new here so a bit nervous but here goes. A few months ago I realised that I have ASD. I’ve been done a lot of research, read about experiences of autistic people, talked about this to my friends and more. I told my mum that I wanted to get a diagnosis but she said it would limit my future opportunities. I feel that I am at the point where I need a official diagnosis to help me feel validated and get reassurance that I’m not just making it all up or faking it. I think I would likely be diagnosed with Aspergers, but don’t feel entirely comfortable using this label because of the term origins.

I am looking for any advice about how I can go about getting a diagnosis or just any general advice. Happy to answer any questions and any response is appreciated!

Parents
  • As a teenager you probably qualify under the gillick  criteria as a competent minor. This is the medical rule that lets children consent to therapy with out their parents consent. It’s the same basis upon which doctors give teenage girls the birth control pill without their parents knowing.

since the risk of the diagnostic process is effective nil and you seem very mature there is probably a strong argument that you are gillick competent for it.

you can ask your GP to refer you to the child and adolescent mental health service (asuming you’re young enough which I expect you are) for an autism assessment. Explain that you’d like this even if your parents object. CAMHS is usually a lot quicker than adult autism assessment but I’m not sure how long it will take especially given the pandemic.

• As a teenager you probably qualify under the gillick  criteria as a competent minor. This is the medical rule that lets children consent to therapy with out their parents consent. It’s the same basis upon which doctors give teenage girls the birth control pill without their parents knowing.

since the risk of the diagnostic process is effective nil and you seem very mature there is probably a strong argument that you are gillick competent for it.

you can ask your GP to refer you to the child and adolescent mental health service (asuming you’re young enough which I expect you are) for an autism assessment. Explain that you’d like this even if your parents object. CAMHS is usually a lot quicker than adult autism assessment but I’m not sure how long it will take especially given the pandemic.

Children
No Data