getting an autism diagnosis as a teen girl

hi everyone, I’m new here so a bit nervous but here goes. A few months ago I realised that I have ASD. I’ve been done a lot of research, read about experiences of autistic people, talked about this to my friends and more. I told my mum that I wanted to get a diagnosis but she said it would limit my future opportunities. I feel that I am at the point where I need a official diagnosis to help me feel validated and get reassurance that I’m not just making it all up or faking it. I think I would likely be diagnosed with Aspergers, but don’t feel entirely comfortable using this label because of the term origins.

I am looking for any advice about how I can go about getting a diagnosis or just any general advice. Happy to answer any questions and any response is appreciated!

Parents
  • You can see your GP to get a referral for NHS autistic assessment... it can take years though depending on your location.

If you get a diagnosis on the NHS, it will go on your medical records, but in general you are not obliged to tell prospective employers about it.

I didn't know I was autistic all my working life... but if I did there have definitely been employers I would have told - I could have used some small considerations to making my life easier (and my work more productive) - mainly involving noisy sites and excessive multi-tasking that I struggle with.

You sound pretty switched on with your research and discussions - I suspect the most significant help is already within your grasp... just being self-aware enough to self-diagnose hopefully means you can shape your life accordingly.

That being said, I self-diagnosed a few years ago and despite identifying with so many autistic descriptions, posts, videos etc. I had doubts as well sometimes... if I'm autistic how did I get jobs, make friends, get married etc.?

So I got my GP to refer me and had my assessment this morning. She said I was textbook Aspergers - I cried after the call.

Good luck.

Edit: I refer to my self as an autist, autistic or ASC - I don't feel any need to use Aspergers or even high-functioning.

• You can see your GP to get a referral for NHS autistic assessment... it can take years though depending on your location.

If you get a diagnosis on the NHS, it will go on your medical records, but in general you are not obliged to tell prospective employers about it.

I didn't know I was autistic all my working life... but if I did there have definitely been employers I would have told - I could have used some small considerations to making my life easier (and my work more productive) - mainly involving noisy sites and excessive multi-tasking that I struggle with.

You sound pretty switched on with your research and discussions - I suspect the most significant help is already within your grasp... just being self-aware enough to self-diagnose hopefully means you can shape your life accordingly.

That being said, I self-diagnosed a few years ago and despite identifying with so many autistic descriptions, posts, videos etc. I had doubts as well sometimes... if I'm autistic how did I get jobs, make friends, get married etc.?

So I got my GP to refer me and had my assessment this morning. She said I was textbook Aspergers - I cried after the call.

Good luck.

Edit: I refer to my self as an autist, autistic or ASC - I don't feel any need to use Aspergers or even high-functioning.

Children