GP would not refer me for a diagnosis

Hi

I have recently come to the belief that I must be autistic based on various online tests (including 43 out off 50 on the AQ test) and very strongly identifying with virtually all common traits etc including with those that have been diagnosed. Also it seemed to make sense of various unusual behaviour patterns etc I have had throughout my life which I had considered separate issues.

Based on all this I eventually took the courage to approach my GP for a referral for a diagnosis and was only offered a very brief phone appointment and was told that I cannot be autistic as I have good written and verbal communication skills and have held a marriage together for 20 years. own my own home and have been in a good job for 11 years so apparently have not had a hindered life development . Also that my social anxiety and sensory issues and being aggravated by noise issues etc was an unconnected anxiety issue and maybe I may want counselling etc for those, but could not be referred for an autism assessment.

I was not happy with this and have basically decided to pay for a private diagnosis although very expensive as I now need to know for myself, my family and certain work etc situations as it would help me and people understand me more and would help in certain areas of my life.

I am wondering how much truth there is in the reasons I was given for not being autistic or any other advice that may help me.

Parents
  • Yes, I can only chime in to echo what others have already said.  It seems that the GP has had little to no recent autism training as none of the things mentioned would preclude an autism diagnosis.  

I would either change GP or, as you've decided, opt to go privately.  My own anxiety was always off the scale but, until very recently, treated as an entirely separate thing and nobody ever mentioned the possibility of autism to me.  But now I've been assessed as being autistic it feels as though I have a unifying theory which covers all the difficulties I've experienced over the years.  It also gives me an important sense of identity, self acceptance and the knowledge to at least look in the right direction for information and support.  So I'd say that, though expensive, just knowing, feeling validated and going on to increase your understanding can be invaluable.  

• Yes, I can only chime in to echo what others have already said.  It seems that the GP has had little to no recent autism training as none of the things mentioned would preclude an autism diagnosis.  

I would either change GP or, as you've decided, opt to go privately.  My own anxiety was always off the scale but, until very recently, treated as an entirely separate thing and nobody ever mentioned the possibility of autism to me.  But now I've been assessed as being autistic it feels as though I have a unifying theory which covers all the difficulties I've experienced over the years.  It also gives me an important sense of identity, self acceptance and the knowledge to at least look in the right direction for information and support.  So I'd say that, though expensive, just knowing, feeling validated and going on to increase your understanding can be invaluable.  

Children