Hello!

Hi all,

Am new here. A little nervous. Wanting to say something to connect with others, but not really sure how to do it on a forum with "niceties". Slight smile (Have stayed offline and off social media for a good number of months to years (depending on the platform), now.)

A question I could ask, about which I wonder if others experience the same, is: When it comes to "symmetry", do you have any "unusual" things you like or need to be symmetrical?

For example, I didn't think I really had a need for symmetry, in terms of the common organising of physical items.

But then I started to analyse the type of music and sounds I like to listen to. Then I discovered that I really only like sounds that are completely symmetrical, in terms of panning, or fade-in and fade-out, or patterns of pitch. I also really like music that is structured A-B-A; it's the only structure that to me feels satisfyingly complete.

Does anyone here have anything like that?

Parents
  • Hello. My musical tastes are not based on symmetry but I have noticed that I like vocal music to be emotional, I like Blues and Flamenco, for example. However, for instrumental music, especially orchestral, I much prefer it to be very precise and mathematical. Therefore, I like Baroque music, but really dislike the music of the Romantic movement of the 19th Century.

• Hi. That's really interesting. What are the reasons, do you think, that you prefer different things in each of vocal and instrumental music?

• I think that it is because the human voice is the ideal medium for expressing emotion, and instrumental attempts at inducing emotion in me feel artificial and fundamentally irritating. I feel like I'm being manipulated or conned. I love Bach, Handel and Vivaldi, but really cannot stand Beethoven, Chopin and Debussy. 

• Good point, about Bach's use of voice! 

Which pieces of Bach, Haydn and Brahms do you like?

I haven't listened to as much Haydn and Brahms. I'm not sure why, but I tend to stay in my little realm of keyboard art music the most. So I could do with orchestral recommendations.

• That's really interesting to me. I find it fascinating how emotion is conveyed in music, and how people prefer it to be conveyed.

I find that my own taste is for pieces that convey a single emotion, in a way that all the musical elements are tightly, accurately linked to the characteristics of that emotion. This does include some Chopin and Beethoven. :) I tend to search for music in which the conveying of emotion is clear, but not cliched.

I can't stand a lot of film music, though, for the same reason you dislike the 19th Century romantics. :)

Bach's counterpoint is wonderful to me. It's not my preferred thing to sit and listen to, but I love to study it and appreciate it.

• That's really interesting to me. I find it fascinating how emotion is conveyed in music, and how people prefer it to be conveyed.

I find that my own taste is for pieces that convey a single emotion, in a way that all the musical elements are tightly, accurately linked to the characteristics of that emotion. This does include some Chopin and Beethoven. :) I tend to search for music in which the conveying of emotion is clear, but not cliched.

I can't stand a lot of film music, though, for the same reason you dislike the 19th Century romantics. :)

Bach's counterpoint is wonderful to me. It's not my preferred thing to sit and listen to, but I love to study it and appreciate it.

Children
No Data