Advice on Emploment

Hello, I am wanting some advice on employment for my 22yr old Son. Diagnosed with High Functioning Autism with complex communication issues.

My son has been working voluntarily for a Heritage Railway for the past 2 years. He has shown a good apptitude in all areas he has been trained in. Including the standardised code and tests for railway safety. He currently volunteers as a train guard as well as other areas of maintenance,  of the safe running of the Heritage railway.

There have been various full and part time jobs advertised which he has applied for over the past 2yrs but not even been offered an interview!! 

Being my sons official appointee, I contacted the company on my sons behalf to ask for an update on how they see my son as a future employee. Mainly due to his Job Coach at the Job Centre asking for an appraisal. 

I received an email from the HR and Manager stating how my son was a valued member of the volunteer team and was often willing to undertake jobs that other volunteers and permanent employees shyed away from. He is safety conscious and has shown vigilance in ensuring all the safety and safe running of the railway.

My son has applied for various permanent jobs that have been advertised, but at the time it was felt that he did not fit the criteria for the job advertised. 

This year the company have expanded and are now advertising for various seasonal, aswell as permanent roles. 

All of which, my son has training and experience in, as a volunteer! He hasn't so much as been offered an interview!! 

I feel the company are now taking the proverbial but my son loves the work and volunteer roles. I'm at a loss as to what to do!! I don't feel I could stop him volunteering as it is valuable work experience and to be fair he loves it so much I don't think he could just walk away, without it destroying his confidence! 

I'm hoping someone can help me out on where next to turn for help!!

Thank you 

Parents
  • My son has tried Network Rail, LNER, Northern, they all have these stupid timed psychometric tests. I have tested him and he can get a high scoring when the test isn't timed.  GBRailfreight...where he did  have a traineeship. His line manager was disgraceful at his 12wk appraisal, which I insisted on attending. I also requested someone from HR to be present. From the comments my son had told me, he'd had from the line manager. I guessed he would probably be dismissed... which he was!! 

I printed all the information from the NAS website from the links I was sent. Regarding employers and employing an Autistic Adult. The manager pushed the information aside and told my son he had already decided he wasn't suitable for the job!! 

HR personel offered to help me take his dismissal to tribunal but to be honest, my son was already gutted and spent days in his bedroom. Trying to de-stress the rejection.

How do you explain to a then 19yr old, he lost his job because he learns at a different pace and level. Yes I realise it was the ultimate discrimination but his mental well being came 1st. Hence we didn't take the matter to tribunal. 

He is articulate, funny, able to devise his own coping strategies. Learns at his own pace but once the information is processed, my son never forgets. 

Various agencies have worked with us, since he was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, at the age of 4yrs. It hasn't been easy, as I know anyone on this forum will agree. It's hard work being talented and unique!!

It's so hard being his appointee, as people just see me as his mother and not the mentor.

The Job Centre just want to get him into work. I asked at his last Job Centre meeting.... If there was a Disability Welfare Officer we could talk to..... apparently NOT!! 

My son is Customer Service focused. He has explored engineering on the railway but his Maths grades are not acceptable for engineering. He struggles beyond Level 2 Functional Skills.

Thank you for the current replies. They are gratefully received.

• I'm so sorry to hear that. I will not try to highjack the discussion and make it about me, but I do have experience with unfair terminations and treatment at work. Hopefully you can find a solution and secure a position for your son. 

• Thank you for your comments. Employers can be very intolerant of people on the spectrum. If only they would listen to employees and future employees.

Employers are missing out on some very unique talents and perseverance to succeed in the world of work x

• Thank you for your comments. Employers can be very intolerant of people on the spectrum. If only they would listen to employees and future employees.

Employers are missing out on some very unique talents and perseverance to succeed in the world of work x

Children
No Data