HI I'm Hellyn or Hellbell

I'm 62 yr old female, waiting for diagnosis since 2019 here in Devon, it should happen in Nov/Dec according to social worker. 

I have a life time of stories that I now understand with my GP noticing my history, behaviours, difficulties, mental and physical problems. I also have Irlens syndrome. I'm fed up with being sidelined, overlooked, called difficult when I'm intelligent, incredibly funny, creative, great problem solver and strong sense of justice and how to get things done. I've been told i'm intimidating, not emotionally present, socially weird and grew up 'the problem child'. 

I have two supportive kids that have helped me on this journey and understand me a lot better now they have a reference to turn to and research and has raised their awareness too.

I want to make a difference somehow in someway for us older adults...who seem to be hidden and coping with a lifetime of reframing ourselves.

So, Hello all neurodiverse people!

• I see it as a formality now. My scores on tests are high and my skill set spiky. Been to meeting in Plymouth and actually felt comfortable talking with people like myself who talk about so many interesting things bouncing off each other. 
    thankyou road runner

• Welcome to the forum, just joined myself at 25. It is great to hear that your kids are supportive and I wish you the very best with getting a diagnosis, which I hope will give some closure at least.

• Hello, I'm 60 yrs old and was diagnosed in February. 

• Hi Hellyn!

I have learned to lower my expectations of others, in spite of my strong sense of justice, in order to feel less resentful. People will be liars, narcissists, abusers, manipulators, corrupt, etc. Sometimes, life is unexplainable.

I have been with my local Mental Health team for almost Twenty-One years, now; I'm forty-two. My experience has been, for the most part, positive. However, the thought of prescribing antidepressants or antipsychotics to children makes my blood boil. Again, I must lower my expectations.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's thirty years ago. At school, had a Teaching Assistant at the age of six/seven. I was encouraged to learn, until my father was killed in the Troubles whenever I was ten. I got through school and uni, somehow, but work was a no-go for me. I became a Bum with a Degree.

Great that you had kids; in spite of all the obstacles. Unconditional love, and all that.