My Story

I’m a 25 year old man who was diagnosed with mild high functioning autism at a young age but until today continuously denied it and kept it a total secret to everyone outside my family.

Thanks to the incredible support of my mum and dad, who at one point were convinced I would never leave home for my whole life due to the severity of my autism as a young child, I made huge improvements and would go on to finish school with 5 A* and 7 A grades at GCSE and AAB at A level. I also have been in full time employment since leaving school and obtained Level 2 and 3 qualifications in fitness instructing, personal training and team leadership. I bought a flat almost five years ago and was a homeowner for three years before selling it as me and my family planned to relocate (which never happened thanks to Covid), but with lockdowns easing bought a flat in May and have almost completed the sale, my first flat was my proudest moment so can’t wait to be a home owner again. I have also had a lot of success in middle and long distance running, having done this for over 10 years for a local athletics club, and in December ran 16:35 for 5K, my best ever time on the road.

However, the one thing that has never been resolved is that I struggle to control my emotions, particularly anger. I care greatly about the patients I transport (work in patient transport), so when patients are let down by hospitals or other institutions I rarely, but did on Monday lose control of my temper and it’s now left me in a situation where I may lose my job in days, as it’s not the first time this has happened. No one was hurt, so it wasn’t physical, but verbal, not directed at anyone I spoke to specifically, but my boss thinks otherwise, so now I’m waiting for the dreaded phone call from her. Other examples, I had to resign from my position as coach of the school cross country and middle distance athletics teams when I left school as I exploded at a local athletics meet at the organising school via email and got my school into a lot of trouble, and at a local park-run a few years back went berserk at another runner who had a go at me for my loud wheezing while struggling to the finish line (was unfit at the time coming back from injury), and ended up getting confrontational and using expletive language in front of families and children. I’m not proud of this, and feel a great amount of shame to this day over these incidents. I seem to have two extremes, on and off, with no middle ground, and now it has cost me my job, having handed in my notice to try and get out of this job as soon as possible before something worse happens, and trying to find something else in a different industry before I end up unemployed.

In addition, I was diagnosed with moderate depression and anxiety in February although thanks again to my parents and medication I am in a much better place. I mention this because it is of my understanding that people with autism often struggle with their mental health. Having the flat to look forward to has really helped, as until I bought it, I felt I had nothing to show for myself and felt like a failure.

Until today I kept my autism a complete secret, even to my employers and everyone I know outside my family. I feel a great amount of shame for how much of a complete nightmare I was to my parents as a kid and wanted to bury it, but now that I am in a position where I may be unemployed in a month, I have had to reflect on my life and have now accepted that autism is and will always be a part of my life and I hope this is the first step forward in resolving my extremes of emotions and how I feel about myself, so I don’t end up in this situation again in a future job.

Even writing this is a tough thing for me to do, but my parents said it would be beneficial to join a group of like minded people to talk to, so here I am with my story. Sorry to ramble on, but I hope it may help those of you out there who have been through similar things that you’re not alone.

I look forward to playing my part in this community and am always happy to help anyone who needs help, whether they have autism or someone they know has it.

• Thank you for your message. Sorry to hear you’ve been through similar experiences but happy to hear mediation has helped for you. Will look into this.

• Thank you for your message, really helpful.

• one issue is messing up your life --- your on/off anger switch  

i dont have such a strong anger issue but i had a pattern of getting into arguments at work ( across different employers ). I never was fired but left some because i was so ashamed at my behaviour. 

then i went for help with the mental health tam and they said I was autistic.

since i have learnt to meditate ( breath following, thought labelling, mantra ) and these techniques have taught me control over my thoughts and feelings. This has reduced my work stress and anxiety and stopped the usual work related fights. 

I have no idea if meditation would work for you,, but it could ,,,, it is worth a try Slight smile

• Hi so sorry you are going through all this. It is obvious that you have been doing stuff that helps others.  I have had inner anger which used to just pop inside my body mind and feelings although I never actually let it out.  Sometimes anger can be triggered by a sense that we are somehow bad, different with low self esteem. Yes Autistic people can have mental health problems and it is understandable why, trying to navigate the world and feeling like an alien in it.  I helped my feelings of anger by being mindful of it just practicing simple awareness. The decision to be aware replaces the creation by decision to be angry.  This did not stop the anger returning but it only returned temporarily with less seriousness.  It is said by some that with autism outbursts can be part of sensory overload. As well would it be useful to figure this out with awareness.  

if there is fear linked to self dislike and lack of self esteem could it be good to recognise your own good qualities. It appears you have quite a few so you can’t be a bad person. The fact that you are concerned about your own behaviour is in itself a reflection of moral good within yourself. If you recognise right and wrong then that is the good within you that does that therefore good is you. I believe that most beings on the planet are worthy of self worth and everything has causes and conditions therefore everyone has value.  To me being and life are value.  I will not assume how much my talk will be relevant. But maybe find your own answers. I wish all good progress to you.