Redundancy due to absence of phoning in sick because of my son struggles

Hi I’m Claire and have a wonderful Son who  has Asperger and he is now 17 years old .I am an air hostess and have been in my job for 23 years,I have struggled with work and been there for my son especially when he was at senior school due to him been bullied and attacked and been threatened to be stabbed.My son had trouble going to school because of his bullying and couldn’t cope with every day life causing him to be suicidal and self harm .I tried hard to continue to work but for obvious reason s I couldn’t go into work if my son was having meltdowns and saying he didn’t want to live anymore ,so I had to phone in sick for my self as I couldn’t afford to not get paid as my husband was on a low wage and he could not stay off because he needed a full time contract with his temporary job and him staying off wasn’t a option.I had to take my son to all his calms appointments also which I had to swap my shifts round .I’m now facing been made redundant because I had 16 days off sick in 2 and a half years which was due to me not been able to leave my son and care for him if I was at work when he was refusing to go to school and having meltdowns and wanting to kill himself .I find us parents with autistic children who work need more help and employers should be more understanding and helpful.Has any body been in this position with work .

Parents
  • Hi NAS74362,

Thank you for sharing this with our community.

While we are waiting for the community to respond, you may be interested in contacting a local National Autistic Society branch. Our branches offer support to local autistic people and their families. If you interesting in checking if there is a local branch near to you, please follow the link below:

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/local-branches

Our branches are volunteer-led, and as such every branch and group is different. Some are parent support groups, some provide support and information to autistic adults, while others have office premises and run their own drop-in service. You will need to check with a branch directly for more information on whether they are able to provide a particular service that you are interested in.

If you were interested in starting a branch or group, please email branchservices@nas.org.uk

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Eunice Mod

• Hi NAS74362,

Thank you for sharing this with our community.

While we are waiting for the community to respond, you may be interested in contacting a local National Autistic Society branch. Our branches offer support to local autistic people and their families. If you interesting in checking if there is a local branch near to you, please follow the link below:

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/local-branches

Our branches are volunteer-led, and as such every branch and group is different. Some are parent support groups, some provide support and information to autistic adults, while others have office premises and run their own drop-in service. You will need to check with a branch directly for more information on whether they are able to provide a particular service that you are interested in.

If you were interested in starting a branch or group, please email branchservices@nas.org.uk

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Eunice Mod

Children
No Data