Help for Parents

Hi everyone,

My 7 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with autism.  I'm ashamed to say it but I'm really struggling how it is best for me to help and understand her. I know I have to change the way I talk/what to do when she has a tantrum etc etc I just don't know where to even start. Everything is like a minefield  

There's been no support from the school, just "yes she has autism" and off we went to deal and digestive it all. 

I want to be a better parent any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Adam 

Parents
  • This is a you problem, their are plenty of resources out there for parents. you have to actual take the time to read them and understand not everything is going to applicable to your daughter. Forum aren't the place to ask these questions as you could easily be fed some mis information that will cause you to inflict pain and trauma onto your daughter. 

First I suggest you educate yourself on the difference between a tantrum which is manipulative & a meltdown which is a intense overwhelming emotional reaction to stress, anxiety and overstimulation. Tantrum is a behaviour that is chosen to manipulates someone into giving them what they want. A meltdown may look the same but is completely involuntary with no intention to manipulate. 

The shock is a good thing. its going to force you to talk and educate yourself amongst you and your partner or other parent of the child. raising an Autistic child isn't that different from raising a typical child. The challenges are just different & they may develop faster and slower in certain areas and that's why most parents struggle with raising children with additional or alternative needs.     

• This is a you problem, their are plenty of resources out there for parents. you have to actual take the time to read them and understand not everything is going to applicable to your daughter. Forum aren't the place to ask these questions as you could easily be fed some mis information that will cause you to inflict pain and trauma onto your daughter. 

First I suggest you educate yourself on the difference between a tantrum which is manipulative & a meltdown which is a intense overwhelming emotional reaction to stress, anxiety and overstimulation. Tantrum is a behaviour that is chosen to manipulates someone into giving them what they want. A meltdown may look the same but is completely involuntary with no intention to manipulate. 

The shock is a good thing. its going to force you to talk and educate yourself amongst you and your partner or other parent of the child. raising an Autistic child isn't that different from raising a typical child. The challenges are just different & they may develop faster and slower in certain areas and that's why most parents struggle with raising children with additional or alternative needs.     

Children
No Data