Diagnosis at 37 years old

Hi there.

My name is Garry.

I am 37 years old.

I have just been diagnosed with autism, I am not sure what level, I am still in the process of taking it all in.

I can understand why I have struggled with work and social situations all my life. I feel doors are opening up for me in regards to help and support, with things like looking for the right job, help with organising my finances etc.

I guess I am keen to know that this diagnosis means for me. I have just heard at the age of 5 I was tested, my mum always felt like the doctors and medical professionals were trying to hide something from her.

This has been a journey over the last few years I have been on. I have self diagnosed for at least a few years, and now I officially know does it change anything? 

I am also keen to make new friends, I put up barriers because I have been hurt so much in the past, but I am keen to build new relationships, hoping to have learn from the past, my faith helps, it is the biggest part of me. It gives me hope and comfort.

Stay safe everyone!

Parents
  • Hello 

Same here ,I have self diagnosed with autism , through my autistic child ,I see that we have many things in common ,I have struggle with school and work

It was hard for me to make friends ,I am very shy

hopefully I can meet autistic adult to discuss with him my problem to see if I have it 

Sara 

• Speak to the doctor they should be able to refer you. You wouldn't find out that way. Even if you self diagnosed you would need to be tested in various situations. 

Reply Children
No Data