Gidday from Australia

Im a late forties Aussie male diagnosed ASD (level 1) two weeks ago and trying to find my way.  People have been telling me that I must be Aspergers or asking me if I am Aspergers for roughly the last six years.  About six months ago i started thinking maybe they are correct - turns out yes, they were...  So here I am!

The name I go by here is from my favourite book series: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which I'm currently reading (again).

I have also been reading posts on this forum and getting a lot from it so far but i have so many questions!  I hope to contribute too...

Cheers, Just some guy.

Parents
  • Welcome to this forum for autistic adults and their non-autistic carers :)

Whats the support like for adult diagnoses  in Australia ? 

• Gidday aidie, I can only comment on my experience...  

My diagnosis process was quite straight forward as the doctor I see was one of the people who told me he thought I was Aspergers.  He gave me a referral and I contacted a few Psychologists and booked myself in.  I paid for my assessment - I don't know if there is any funding for that for other people - certainly wasn't for me.  It took about 4 months from referral to receiving my diagnosis report.  

• Gidday aidie, I can only comment on my experience...  

My diagnosis process was quite straight forward as the doctor I see was one of the people who told me he thought I was Aspergers.  He gave me a referral and I contacted a few Psychologists and booked myself in.  I paid for my assessment - I don't know if there is any funding for that for other people - certainly wasn't for me.  It took about 4 months from referral to receiving my diagnosis report.  

Children
  • or just added a 2 at the end lol

• Kudos to you if you've recognised your traits and have managed to engineer your life to suit you.    It's the big thing that most of us wish we were in the position to do. Smiley

A lot of us late-diagnosis auties are already too far down the rabbit hole of job, family, mortgage etc, before we realise we shouldn't have taken that path.    I managed to retire out at 49 - but my health has been damaged from the years of stress.

• I happened upon the original Just some guy here, so I will change my name to Just some other guy...

• Crikey - to the other Just some guy - please let me know if I have stepped on any toes - perhaps IO could change my name to Just some other guy...  

Yes - I work full time - its a bit much though.  I try to work a 4 day week as much as possible using some of my holiday leave.  No pets - I minimise my obligations to minimise my stress!  I still have one parent alive but he has dementia - I attempted talking about Autism with him but he didn't get it...

• we can get it done free here and it takes 2 - 5 years,,,,, 

some people pay private  and the range is 3 months - 8 months

i think there was another "Just some guy" here some time back in this forum Slight smile

do you have any pets ? 

are you working ?

did u tell your parents / what did they think of your diagnosis ?