Early signs of autism

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post and say hello and I hope that you lovely people can help and guide me. I’m looking to get some advice about possible Autism in children under two.

Our son is 18 months old so we are of course in the very early days here and we could very well be looking at a developmental delay and nothing else but I wanted to get as much advice and guidance as I can because I’ve been told that nothing can be done until he’s at least two years old. 

I’m not sure whether to go into specific details now and if this is the right topic place, it’s quite late on a Sunday night but I’m very happy to elaborate further or post my queries in another board, I just wanted to mainly introduce myself and hopefully learn all I can here.

Colette 

Parents
  • Hi just wait though out tomorrow & Tuesday for replies as there are people here who have been in similar situation as yourself and i hope they will come forward.

Every region is different so i would talk to your GP to get an idea of what is available in your area. For a child that young a paediatrician may be involved.    

Here is a link to advice from NAS you can read as you wait

mention your county/city in a reply in case there is someone in your area in here that can reply

www.autism.org.uk/.../parents-and-carers

• Hi just wait though out tomorrow & Tuesday for replies as there are people here who have been in similar situation as yourself and i hope they will come forward.

Every region is different so i would talk to your GP to get an idea of what is available in your area. For a child that young a paediatrician may be involved.    

Here is a link to advice from NAS you can read as you wait

mention your county/city in a reply in case there is someone in your area in here that can reply

www.autism.org.uk/.../parents-and-carers

Children
  • Thank you, I will take look at the link. I’ve spoken with our GP and he’s been referred to an Audiologist to rule out any hearing issues but his appointment isn’t until the end of September, so we’re thinking about going private. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his hearing though but of course I’m very eager to get him checked just in case I’m wrong and as far as I’m aware we can’t proceed down any other routes until that result comes through. I’ve been told I might need to fight for early referrals (not by GP) so hoping I’ll get some help to be able to arm myself.