Our little boy's new diagnosis

Good afternoon everyone, 

I'm completely new here so please bear with me. My partner and I were told three days ago that our little boy is highly likely to have ASD. He is younger than school age so we have a portage worker monitoring our child and he will start school in September. We are due to have a gp appointment in the next week to be referred to a paediatrician.

I am feeling such a bag of different emotions; relief predominantly as it's something we have suspected for a long time. Guilt, could I have helped him more all this time? Burnout, I just want to organise everything now so his transition into school is super smooth. Fear, I want him to have lasting friendships and discover passions and have a world around him that let's him be his authentic self.

Could someone please tell me if this is all normal. No one is guaranteed an easy ride in life, I suppose its just a parents way that we want to click our fingers and make everything perfect.

I would so appreciate anyone with an autistic child or even more so, if a person with ASD could give me any advice how to be the best mummy I can be to my son. My husband and I are reading every day and following our sons lead with play. Any and all advice would be eternally appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance,

Mummy to a rockstar/super hero/astronaut/pirate <3

Parents Reply Children
No Data