Hello from Canada!

Hello,

My name is Gina, I'm 37 years old and live in Canada. 

I have been struggling with my mental health for as long as I can remember. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Type 1 and generalized / social anxiety back in 2013. But I haven't been able to rid myself of the thought that that doesn't answer everything. So I have been doing a LOT of research, and feel like autism may be one of the missing pieces (I really don't think an autism diagnosis would replace the bipolar one). Am also considering the possibility of c-ptsd. 

I am planning to bring up my concerns with my doctor, but feel the need to be prepared first. I don't explain myself very well in person, writing is much easier. Would it be inappropriate to write a letter to my doctor instead? I am just worried that he won't listen or take me seriously, as I believe I am pretty good at masking.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, I was so excited to find this forum!

Parents
  • yes this is a common issue and the solution (as u have mentioned) is to write a letter ( have an electronic version )  asking for an autistic diagnosis 

and t

hen on another sheet have a list of the traits you believe you have

hand the letter to your doctor or pre-send it 

plus

1 Make a list of reasons why u think u are autistic. already mentioned above

2 include blood relatives in your family who are autistic or adhd or called weird/different

and a list of occasions when u have been called weird, autistic, different

the list should be electronic ie so you can email it to anyone who wants it.

see link below as well

autismcanada.org/.../

• yes this is a common issue and the solution (as u have mentioned) is to write a letter ( have an electronic version )  asking for an autistic diagnosis 

and t

hen on another sheet have a list of the traits you believe you have

hand the letter to your doctor or pre-send it 

plus

1 Make a list of reasons why u think u are autistic. already mentioned above

2 include blood relatives in your family who are autistic or adhd or called weird/different

and a list of occasions when u have been called weird, autistic, different

the list should be electronic ie so you can email it to anyone who wants it.

see link below as well

autismcanada.org/.../

Children