Hello All

I don’t have a diagnosis, but my husband is sure I am ‘on the spectrum’. We love each other dearly, but he’s had to teach me how to interact with him, and it’s still not second nature for me after many years.

I have a loooong list of psychiatric diagnoses and am a complete outsider. I’ve never really had a job and desperately want friends, but I don’t know what to do or say and get really anxious. My husband has secondary progressive multiple sclerosis and because of this and my problems we’ve been totally isolated for ten years. We both want to do something about this, but how do I explain to people I’ve been in self-imposed exile for a decade without freaking them out...and I don’t know (or want to know) anything about ‘Love Island’ or anything ‘normal’. We both like gaming and my husband recently bought me a chemistry set, a ‘grow-your-own’ mushroom box and a membership to the British Mycological Society. I’m a 40-something woman. These gifts were perfect for me, but, again, I think if I mentioned this to someone else they would think us both odd.

I don’t know whether seeking a diagnosis would be of any use, but I’m just looking for...My Tribe? Life advice?

Parents
  • Hi. Welcome to the forum. Deciding on going for a formal diagnosis can be a huge choice, can't it. I'm not sure I can advice you either way, but whatever you decide it will be okay.

I hope you have a really positive time here on the forum. I love it here, because it is somewhere that I don't have to try so hard to be something that I am not.

I think your presents are perfect. 

• Hi. Welcome to the forum. Deciding on going for a formal diagnosis can be a huge choice, can't it. I'm not sure I can advice you either way, but whatever you decide it will be okay.

I hope you have a really positive time here on the forum. I love it here, because it is somewhere that I don't have to try so hard to be something that I am not.

I think your presents are perfect. 

Children
  • Hey @mrs.snooks

Thank you for the welcome Slight smile.

Your message really cheered me up. I’m so glad to hear you love it here; that makes me hopeful. Also, your comment about trying so hard to be something that you are not...Wow, you just wrote my experience of life!Hushed That makes me super hopeful that I might finally have found my tribe.

...my presents are pretty kick-ar*e, aren’t they. It’s awesome to have someone who ‘knows’ me.

Take care Slight smileWave