Hello All

I don’t have a diagnosis, but my husband is sure I am ‘on the spectrum’. We love each other dearly, but he’s had to teach me how to interact with him, and it’s still not second nature for me after many years.

I have a loooong list of psychiatric diagnoses and am a complete outsider. I’ve never really had a job and desperately want friends, but I don’t know what to do or say and get really anxious. My husband has secondary progressive multiple sclerosis and because of this and my problems we’ve been totally isolated for ten years. We both want to do something about this, but how do I explain to people I’ve been in self-imposed exile for a decade without freaking them out...and I don’t know (or want to know) anything about ‘Love Island’ or anything ‘normal’. We both like gaming and my husband recently bought me a chemistry set, a ‘grow-your-own’ mushroom box and a membership to the British Mycological Society. I’m a 40-something woman. These gifts were perfect for me, but, again, I think if I mentioned this to someone else they would think us both odd.

I don’t know whether seeking a diagnosis would be of any use, but I’m just looking for...My Tribe? Life advice?

Parents
  • nothing odd about mushrooms -- i regularly eat wild  puffballs  when they are about in autumn.  My "grow your own mushroom kit" didn't work so i emptied the kit onto my garden and then it worked a year later Slight smile

are u odd --- yes  everyone is odd, the earth is odd, the universe is truly odd,  everything is odd Slight smile

what do u have to explain ? 

most people really dont mind oddities life would be boring otherwise

would a diagnosis help  you, i would say yes because you really want to know so go for one and end the quest

hang out is this forum for a while and see what you think 

Welcome to this forum of weirdos, freaks and oddities Slight smile

• nothing odd about mushrooms -- i regularly eat wild  puffballs  when they are about in autumn.  My "grow your own mushroom kit" didn't work so i emptied the kit onto my garden and then it worked a year later Slight smile

are u odd --- yes  everyone is odd, the earth is odd, the universe is truly odd,  everything is odd Slight smile

what do u have to explain ? 

most people really dont mind oddities life would be boring otherwise

would a diagnosis help  you, i would say yes because you really want to know so go for one and end the quest

hang out is this forum for a while and see what you think 

Welcome to this forum of weirdos, freaks and oddities Slight smile

Children
  • Hello aidie,

Thanks for the message. It is perfect. I was just about to cry as I could not see any replies and thought “Oh, God, just another place where I’ve said/done something wrong and nobody wants to talk to me!” 
    Then I saw my profile pic, dived in and found your fabulous word. 
    I like to eat the same thing every day - my favourite food. My husband says this is odd. I think it’s odd that people would chose to eat anything other than their favourite foodConfused.

Some odd my favourite oddities exist in the quantum realm, for example: apparently a vacuum is not always empty. Every now and again it borrows ‘matter’ (can’t remember whether it’s protons or blah, blah) from the future, which pop-in and then disappear - ODD and AMAZING Nerd).

Anyway, enough waffle.

I’m glad to hear about your mushrooms.

Thanks for your kind and jolly words!