Hi - I'm new here !

Hi All

I'm 52yrs and currently going through the diagnostic process.  Autism has never been on my radar until my eldest son underwent diagnostic testing in the workplace two years ago and was told he had dyslexia and dyspraxia ....the testing didnt cover autism but having read loads in the interim, I have no doubt he would receive a diagnosis.  My middle Son returned home from Uni last year in the midst of covid to finish his Psychology degree at home and one day dropped into conversation that the previous year he had spoken to a counselling team at Uni and undergone diagnostic testing and had Aspergers.  Reading up about Aspergers was shocking for me, it was like looking into my childhood and ever since it has been eating away at me that I "need to know" despite family and friends saying things like "but of course you have autism, its been obvious for years, but you're still you" and telling me I don't need to know.  I know I need a proper diagnosis because I am driving myself crazy for starters looking back at my life and the challenges, over analysing relationships and things that have happened, and because I'm struggling and it would make sense of my struggles.

Agatha

Parents
  • Hello, welcome to the community and congratulations for figuring it out :) I'm also waiting for an assessment. My own mother said "I'm positive you qualify" when I finally brought it up in conversation, but I still need to hear it from a professional before I will be 100% able to move on. Remember it's completely your own decision. Good luck with the self-discovery. 

• Hello, welcome to the community and congratulations for figuring it out :) I'm also waiting for an assessment. My own mother said "I'm positive you qualify" when I finally brought it up in conversation, but I still need to hear it from a professional before I will be 100% able to move on. Remember it's completely your own decision. Good luck with the self-discovery. 

Children
No Data