My Daughter nearly 17 had to leave college due to severe Anxiety

Hi 

I'm new to the site but in need of some advice. My beautiful daughter started College last year after a very difficult time at secondary school. I thought things would finally look a little better for her but unfortunately things got worse. 

My daughter has a diagnosis of ASD and very bad Anxiety which we didn't get until year 10. The build up of constant panic attacks and not being able to sleep for more than a few minutes at a time or not at all, awake for days or going the other way sleeping for days, she would also go none verbal which made things very difficult as I didn't know what the problem was or how to help.  College did try to help but she just found the whole experience so traumatic that she had to take a medical absence. I'm not sure she is going to be able to return come September as this was the plan. 

I don't know what to do!  I'm not sure if she could even do an apprenticeship. I am not sure what we do from here, she has weekly psychology sessions which had to be put on hold due covid. They also agree that college might not be the best choice.   

What happens now? If we don't do college or some form of work? I know that young adults are supposed to be in some for of education until 18 but that clearly isn't right for her.

We would be grateful for some advice if anyone has any.

Many thanks

Jo 

Parents
  • Hi Jo

It can be an overwhelming thing, take each day as it comes. I feel because of the covid a lot of us might of had to put things on hold. I'm having to stay away from the hospital shop where I volunteer due to the covid. It can be a self-confidence thing as well. Hope she is able to get a night of better sleep. It must be difficult for her, the panic attacks. How was she getting on with the psychology sessions in the past? A lot of things are being put on hold because of the covid, hoping we can get back to things but it's difficult.

• Hi Jo

It can be an overwhelming thing, take each day as it comes. I feel because of the covid a lot of us might of had to put things on hold. I'm having to stay away from the hospital shop where I volunteer due to the covid. It can be a self-confidence thing as well. Hope she is able to get a night of better sleep. It must be difficult for her, the panic attacks. How was she getting on with the psychology sessions in the past? A lot of things are being put on hold because of the covid, hoping we can get back to things but it's difficult.

Children
No Data