Still unsure about my Autism, realised the possibility last week and so i'm here to find out more, positive and negative, to understand myself better.

It's my first time here, just signed up this morning.

I watched a gamers youtuber's video about him having Autism last week and didn't know and to do about it, so here i am today and have finally plucked up the courage to chat, found this site very informative, but opening up so many questions in my mind.

I meet a lot of the criteria, but don't really want to accept it, but it explains a lot of things throughout my life, does anyone know if there is a test I can take as I want to be more sure before I approach and bother my gp with this?

Parents
  • No, you're far from alone in this.

It would never have crossed my mind and even if it had I wouldn't have been bothered enough to get a diagnosis but for the fact I think it's seriously impacting on my access to health care.

Ultimately, only you will know whether you just want to self-diagnose and look to places like this for kindred spirits who will get the traits, or whether you see some benefit in having a diagnosis.  

If you do, the online quizz thing recommended by others here is what I did.  The results shocked me, really.  But I sent them to my GP who then gave me the NHS AQ10 to fill out and he has referred me for an assessment.

On the one hand, I guess it's just a label. Who cares?  We're all different and that makes the world go round.  On the other, that label provides not just an explanation, but a path to getting the right things (care in my case) that fits the need.

But, welcome :-) Nice to hear from you.

• No, you're far from alone in this.

It would never have crossed my mind and even if it had I wouldn't have been bothered enough to get a diagnosis but for the fact I think it's seriously impacting on my access to health care.

Ultimately, only you will know whether you just want to self-diagnose and look to places like this for kindred spirits who will get the traits, or whether you see some benefit in having a diagnosis.  

If you do, the online quizz thing recommended by others here is what I did.  The results shocked me, really.  But I sent them to my GP who then gave me the NHS AQ10 to fill out and he has referred me for an assessment.

On the one hand, I guess it's just a label. Who cares?  We're all different and that makes the world go round.  On the other, that label provides not just an explanation, but a path to getting the right things (care in my case) that fits the need.

But, welcome :-) Nice to hear from you.

Children
  • Sorry I was focussing on my own things, I hope the assessment goes ok. There must be a way to work things out and help us forward, all supporting each-other could help!? Thank goodness for this page and the community I hope .. :)

• Thank you, I just did a couple of tests and they said Aspie and an RAADS-R score of 170 but i don't really know what that means other than they suggest I get professionally tested. Do I need to go through my GP, I will try there next I think.