Intro yo

I am Di & I'm really proud to have ASD because I just thought I was really weird, off, a loner, different....or alien. I've always loved my weirdness & have always known that those that are more unaccepting of others-usually do not accept themselves & aren't worth the relationship investment. I adore understanding, accommodating, accepting, patient & kind people. Hoping to find that here.

Hmmmmmmmmm. What can I say--"cliff's notes version?" I had SPECT brain imaging done in early 20's which revealed ADHD (yes, hyperactivity), OCD, GAD, Learning Disabilities, Agoraphobia, Social Phobia....etc...sound familiar? This gave some relief & understanding to bad working memory & reading comprehension problems, as well as attention.

But there's always been something else. I've always known it. The meltdowns/shutdowns and all the sensory perception problems....It was a relief, but it didn't answer all the questions. If anything, it was annoying having all those comorbidities, none of which were helped by the one medication I've taken for the last near-decade, except the ADHD--but we all know it just leads to more anxiety. I think high anxiety, sadly just becomes a way of life for us. 

BASICALLY---I got skipped & with the most cutting-edge psychology tech science (even today). 

They just didn't have enough data or information on ASD back in 2007.

It's taken me till late 30's to piece it together. With many thanks to ASD advocate like Dan from 'The Aspie World' & ADHD advocate Jess from 'How to ADHD' (I believe that is her name), seeing newly taken SPECT imaging scans of ASD on The Amen Clinics website AND noticing traits in my mom who had Asperger's in her diagnosis, as well as ADHD in the same area of the brain as me. LOVELY genetics--no, really, I do love my genetics.

I plan to go back THIS YEAR and have a re-evaluation of my scan done. I've been struggling, until I came to that solution. It's not cheap, but it's worth it to talk to a real psychiatrist that knows SPECT scans. 

Until then--I really want to get plugged in--I've always been a loner. I've never belonged to groups---but maybe this will be different.

This month my husband & I both finish our bachelor's degrees we started 2 years ago (building upon prior credits from 2005) & we are EXHAUSTED, but EXCITED FOR THE FUTURE. 

I'm excited to meet you all & form some quality relationships.....as well as find out that you all are struggling with the same things.

Bye!

Parents
  • Hi, it's a really interesting subject so I'm wondering if I could ask you a few questions regarding your experience ? Have you been officially diagnosed ASD ?

Hmmmmmmmmm. What can I say--"cliff's notes version?" I had SPECT brain imaging done in early 20's which revealed ADHD (yes, hyperactivity), OCD, GAD, Learning Disabilities, Agoraphobia, Social Phobia....etc...sound familiar? This gave some relief & understanding to bad working memory & reading comprehension problems, as well as attention.

Can these diagnoses be officially given through a scan ? I presume you paid a lot of money for the scan ? If so, what would be the difference from getting a much cheaper or free diagnoses from a mental health professional as these are not too hard to diagnose ?

ASD...what it can look like on a SPECT scan

Is there any hard science behind this ?

I really wish, I didn't have to shell out over $600 for a new eval & new patient establishment---but that's inexpensive for what you get. The scans cost between $4k-5k.......but you actually get to see brain surface area/blood flow to that area or lack of blood flow. I love brain science....major interest. I don't know where I'd be without it.

It is a lot of money to pay. What do you actually get ? 

• Hi, it's a really interesting subject so I'm wondering if I could ask you a few questions regarding your experience ? Have you been officially diagnosed ASD ?

Can these diagnoses be officially given through a scan ? I presume you paid a lot of money for the scan ? If so, what would be the difference from getting a much cheaper or free diagnoses from a mental health professional as these are not too hard to diagnose ?

ASD...what it can look like on a SPECT scan

Is there any hard science behind this ?

I really wish, I didn't have to shell out over $600 for a new eval & new patient establishment---but that's inexpensive for what you get. The scans cost between $4k-5k.......but you actually get to see brain surface area/blood flow to that area or lack of blood flow. I love brain science....major interest. I don't know where I'd be without it.

It is a lot of money to pay. What do you actually get ? 

Children
No Data