Diagnosis

Hi, I'm new here, and looking to gain insight into whether I am autistic or not.

A friend has recently been diagnosed and is convinced that I also fit the picture and so I asked my GP for a referral for diagnosis. The GP said he would look into it and then wrote to me asking me to give good reason for a referral.

This has completely stumped me. I'm not sure I can say clearly why I think I may be, except for my high online score.

I wonder if anyone here would be happy to talk about their experiences with diagnosis, or anything else which may help with my letter which fills me with anxiety..... and so, just doesn't get done. 

• above is the plan I followed

here are additional notes

Make a list of reasons why u think u are autistic.

include relatives in your family who are autistic or adhd or called weird/different

and a list of occasions when u have been called weird, autistic, different

the list should be electronic ie so you can email it to anyone who wants it.

• Thanks so much Ros! That's really helpful and very much appreciated. I've finally been able to start putting my thoughts onto paper. 

• Hi NAS72039,

We have a whole section of the site here which you might find helpful, dedicated to advice on the process of getting diagnosed - https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis - but particularly relevant to the situation you describe I think would be this page - https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis/pre-diagnosis/adults - and the section that says 'Present your case':

'You could say that you've been reading about autism, or that you've been in touch with the National Autistic Society. You could say that you think you experience some of the difficulties autistic people can face, and you would like to seek a formal assessment to be sure. 

Try to give your GP some examples of difficulties you've had in adulthood and childhood with: 

• communication 
    • social interaction
    • sensory difficulties
    • friendships
    • employment
    • need for routine. 

Say how much you think these affect the different areas of your life.'

You could use this as a guide to write down some of the reasons you think you might be autistic and want to be assessed - having a friend with ASD who thinks you might be, and a high score on an online test would both be good examples - and see what your GP says. If you are refused a referral, you can ask to see another GP if you need to - the information in the link above goes over your rights as a patient and your GP's responsibilities.

Hope this is of some help,
    Ross - mod