Newly Diagnosed 4 yr old Son

Hi, Im Susaye, my 4 year old was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism yesterday. We had an idea that he may be on the spectrum but i was still completely blown away when they told us. Thought it would be nice to chat with other people that are on this emotional rollercoaster!! And please someone tell me that eventually i will be able to talk about it without crying?Frown

Parents
  • Hi - My son has been going through assessments since he started primary 1, aged 5.  All of the assessments, ed psych, school doc, clinical psych, teachers etc are saying he has Aspergers or high functioning ASD as it is known.  I must admit I have been through a living hell emotionally.  I have had nights where I have sat crying, feeling so isolated.  I understand totally how you feel.  Isolated, alone, not "normal", angry, - the whole range. These are apparently perfectly acceptable feelings to feel.  It is like a bereavement of your hopes and dreams for your child.  Once you have begun to accept things will be different, then you like me will be able to get through the mire of systems and hoops you have to jump through and then eventually end up actually celebrating your childs "difference".  My 6 year old son was able to last month be the finale act in a dolphin show in Tenerife and boy did I cry with sheer joy and happiness at what he was able to do. I had a neuro typical child over for tea the other week and quite frankly I was bored as they did not do anything stimulating or challenging (or talk endlessley about the finer details of the double ended light sabre and which Sith Lords from Star Treck I would prefer to battle).  When my son stripped off down to his undies in our living room and danced his heart out to the Mad Dominicans Latin Dance, having put a teapot cover on his head, this is what makes my life so special and tonight to have him come to me and be given a demonstration of how he can now like spiderman shimmy up the door frame in our bathroom and reach the top without slipping, this is what makes me realise I have a truly gifted child!  Ha ha!  I need to think over the next few years as to how I can home these skills and interests into a tangible job for him when he leaves school, but hey - there is a place for everyone in life.  Keep having your cries but never forget to laugh.  He is not ill, just different and truly unique and special - just like my little one.  Feel free to sound off and then when you have a funny story share it with us!  xxx 

• Hi - My son has been going through assessments since he started primary 1, aged 5.  All of the assessments, ed psych, school doc, clinical psych, teachers etc are saying he has Aspergers or high functioning ASD as it is known.  I must admit I have been through a living hell emotionally.  I have had nights where I have sat crying, feeling so isolated.  I understand totally how you feel.  Isolated, alone, not "normal", angry, - the whole range. These are apparently perfectly acceptable feelings to feel.  It is like a bereavement of your hopes and dreams for your child.  Once you have begun to accept things will be different, then you like me will be able to get through the mire of systems and hoops you have to jump through and then eventually end up actually celebrating your childs "difference".  My 6 year old son was able to last month be the finale act in a dolphin show in Tenerife and boy did I cry with sheer joy and happiness at what he was able to do. I had a neuro typical child over for tea the other week and quite frankly I was bored as they did not do anything stimulating or challenging (or talk endlessley about the finer details of the double ended light sabre and which Sith Lords from Star Treck I would prefer to battle).  When my son stripped off down to his undies in our living room and danced his heart out to the Mad Dominicans Latin Dance, having put a teapot cover on his head, this is what makes my life so special and tonight to have him come to me and be given a demonstration of how he can now like spiderman shimmy up the door frame in our bathroom and reach the top without slipping, this is what makes me realise I have a truly gifted child!  Ha ha!  I need to think over the next few years as to how I can home these skills and interests into a tangible job for him when he leaves school, but hey - there is a place for everyone in life.  Keep having your cries but never forget to laugh.  He is not ill, just different and truly unique and special - just like my little one.  Feel free to sound off and then when you have a funny story share it with us!  xxx 

Children
No Data