What do you think of self-identification?

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your opinion please. I have had a therapist and GP say I have ASD, but no formal diagnosis. Apparently that's as elusive as matching socks. I've just been on a 3 day research binge and I no longer know which way is up. In your opinion is self- identifying acceptable? I honestly don't know if it would make me a fraud or others would see me as a fraud. All I've ever wanted is to just make sense of myself and find a place where I feel I belong. I would really appreciate your thoughts, right now I have too many of my own. Thank you Slight smile

Parents
  • I would say self-identification is absolutely acceptable - it's very unlikely that your therapist, your GP and yourself are all making it up ;) But it is common to be unsure, because we've never known what it's like to be non-autistic! Of course, there are some things that you would need a certificate for - e.g if you need financial support or special arrangements at work or in education. And there are some jobs (e.g in the military) that a diagnosis would prevent you from doing.

If neither of those things particularly matter to you, then the most important question is whether you personally want the validation of an official assessment. The fact that you are obsessively researching it and going on this forum suggests that you are looking for answers and maybe a diagnosis would put your mind at rest. Only you can make the decision (unfortunately). On the plus side, if you think you might want to get diagnosed but you're not sure, you can ask to be referred and then exit the long waiting list if you change your mind. (I hate committing to big decisions, so this is how I justified it to myself.)

• I would say self-identification is absolutely acceptable - it's very unlikely that your therapist, your GP and yourself are all making it up ;) But it is common to be unsure, because we've never known what it's like to be non-autistic! Of course, there are some things that you would need a certificate for - e.g if you need financial support or special arrangements at work or in education. And there are some jobs (e.g in the military) that a diagnosis would prevent you from doing.

If neither of those things particularly matter to you, then the most important question is whether you personally want the validation of an official assessment. The fact that you are obsessively researching it and going on this forum suggests that you are looking for answers and maybe a diagnosis would put your mind at rest. Only you can make the decision (unfortunately). On the plus side, if you think you might want to get diagnosed but you're not sure, you can ask to be referred and then exit the long waiting list if you change your mind. (I hate committing to big decisions, so this is how I justified it to myself.)

Children
  • Thank you so much BassFace. I did have a referral but it was rejected, my area doesn't diagnose or support adults with ASD unless they have learning difficulties. So either I fight, try and find another way around or just accept it. I really appreciate your advice and your words of wisdom. Thank you.