What do you think of self-identification?

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your opinion please. I have had a therapist and GP say I have ASD, but no formal diagnosis. Apparently that's as elusive as matching socks. I've just been on a 3 day research binge and I no longer know which way is up. In your opinion is self- identifying acceptable? I honestly don't know if it would make me a fraud or others would see me as a fraud. All I've ever wanted is to just make sense of myself and find a place where I feel I belong. I would really appreciate your thoughts, right now I have too many of my own. Thank you Slight smile

Parents
  • i think maybe you can "try it on." particularly since you seem to be having trouble getting a diagnosis.  for me, it was all way too confusing. i needed that diagnosis, which i got. it's been down the rabbit hole ever since. i guess i'm glad i got the diagnosis --- but it took almost three years to get to "i guess i'm glad...". prior to the three year mark, it was simply "this reeks. i don't seem much better off"

• Thank you. 3 years is such a long time to wait for answers. I am considering the fight for a diagnosis but I'm just not sure I have it in me, at the same time I have question marks, I like full stops, a yes or a no, not a maybe. I've a feeling I'm going to drive myself even more off the rails.

• Is it definitely going to be a fight? Where I live you just self-refer for a diagnosis now. I've been told there is a 6 month wait but I'm only a month down so I cant yet confirm if this is true for me.

• Under 70 means severe learning difficulties. I've not seen the referral letter or reply to the GP, but I will be requesting copies.

• that's utter nonsense! are you sure this is the case? did they sit you down and IQ test you at the GPs? 

My wait was 2.5 years on the NHS but I have to say it is really worth it. when speaking to lots of people (formal and informal settings) and be able to refer to a professional/clinical opinion. You get less of the challenge back.  

• Oh my gosh that's so very true!

• Not much of a spectrum if they only diagnose one end of it! 

• Had my referral rejected because my IQ is too high, it has to be below 70 in my area. Pleased it's a lot easier for you, and the wait isn't too bad.

Reply Children