University application

Hi,I am planning on applying for university at the end of the year and was wondering did you share your diagnosis and if so did it benefit you in anyway?

Parents
  • There is a bit on the UCAS form where you disclose disabilities. To prevent discrimination, this info is only passed on to the university once they have made you an offer, but if you want to bring it up in your personal statement or interview that's up to you. Once you have offers I would say it's definitely worth contacting the uni and also applying for DSA and pushing for help/ adjustments. Some universities have whole websites for autistic students (e.g. Sheffield.autism-uni) but you have to really go looking, I've yet to come across a university that makes it obvious what support is available. As beepee1984 says, the OU is pretty good and you can just buy a place on their courses without going through UCAS. I've done 5 OU modules and 4 UCAS applications so I suck at actually going to uni but I definitely know my way around the application process! Hope that helps. Good luck. 

• There is a bit on the UCAS form where you disclose disabilities. To prevent discrimination, this info is only passed on to the university once they have made you an offer, but if you want to bring it up in your personal statement or interview that's up to you. Once you have offers I would say it's definitely worth contacting the uni and also applying for DSA and pushing for help/ adjustments. Some universities have whole websites for autistic students (e.g. Sheffield.autism-uni) but you have to really go looking, I've yet to come across a university that makes it obvious what support is available. As beepee1984 says, the OU is pretty good and you can just buy a place on their courses without going through UCAS. I've done 5 OU modules and 4 UCAS applications so I suck at actually going to uni but I definitely know my way around the application process! Hope that helps. Good luck. 

Children
No Data