University application

Hi,I am planning on applying for university at the end of the year and was wondering did you share your diagnosis and if so did it benefit you in anyway?

Parents
  • I do not think you need to disclose your diagnosis at the application stage. I did not know I was autistic on both occasions I went to university and both times I was unable to cope, had I of known maybe I could have made adjustments.

Once at Uni, you don't need to tell other people, but I would tell the Uni and then you can use their Student services. I don't know what you will need, but I'm currently at Open University (So I do most at home) and they seat me by the door and the invigilators know about me so if I need to get up and leave to calm myself down,  I can without penalty or giving notice as long as I don't look at my phone or books and remain in sight of an invigilator so they know I'm not cheating. This helps me. You can be awarded extra time in exams, you can be given a support student, not be asked questions in front of other... but my advice is you need to know what you want/need and tell them and see if they can provide it. 

• I do not think you need to disclose your diagnosis at the application stage. I did not know I was autistic on both occasions I went to university and both times I was unable to cope, had I of known maybe I could have made adjustments.

Once at Uni, you don't need to tell other people, but I would tell the Uni and then you can use their Student services. I don't know what you will need, but I'm currently at Open University (So I do most at home) and they seat me by the door and the invigilators know about me so if I need to get up and leave to calm myself down,  I can without penalty or giving notice as long as I don't look at my phone or books and remain in sight of an invigilator so they know I'm not cheating. This helps me. You can be awarded extra time in exams, you can be given a support student, not be asked questions in front of other... but my advice is you need to know what you want/need and tell them and see if they can provide it. 

Children
No Data