Hello.

I’m John, I am 50+, and I live in North Wales. I have just received a diagnosis of ASD and I am currently trying to make sense of it.

• Hi John, welcome!

I think it is the making sense of it that is the main challenge, especially when you get diagnosed later on in life. It can also be very liberating as everything al of a sudden makes sense. Or that's how I found it. A sense of relief that there's not something wrong with me but rather that's how I was wired all along.

Someone I connected with recently gave me a good piece of advice that I hope will help you along your acceptance journey. She said to give yourself grace and time to make sense of it all. It will be a long process as there's years and years of making sense of it.

I find journalling helps make sense of it all. Also reading about autism and about other autistic people. And joining in on forums like this one to connect with other people like us.

All the best on your acceptance journey!

• one thing when u get time change the NAS71150 default name to  "Johnfromwales" or anything else, It's just hard to remember  NAS71150

• Hi John,

Welcome to this forum.

Please feel free to join in any of the discussions and ask questions. Likewise feel free to start your own discussion. Slight smile

• Hi Wave

Me too. Diagnosed 4 months ago. 

Welcome aboard.

• Hi John

That must be really difficult for you to process. When did you first become aware that you may have ASD?