Seeking help from a Hong Kong mother, will imigrate soon

Hello, 

May I introduce myself, Heidi, mother of an autistic young man, is now living in Hong Kong and going to immigrate England with my whole family in this summer. 

Immigration is extremely difficult for us, since my highly dependent son has to adapt to a new place with different language and culture.  Also, my husband and I, both  are ageing, getting retired, can only rely on savings to live as well as to cope with the expenses of training or future residential needs of our son.  

Therefore, your valuable ideas or suggestion is very useful to reduce our worries, furthermore, to help us formulate  proper planning.  The following are concerns now I can think of :

1.  In choosing which city to reside, I just  wonder what should be considered in relation to the life arrangement of my son?   The  accessiblity of services ?  financial surplus of local council? or  other factors?

2.  Regarding the service or training,  what is the general comment?  Are most of the parents satisified with the service on quality and quantity aspects?

3. When the parents are no longer function as carer  or passed away,  will the government responsible for the care and living of the highly dependent disabled? 

Thank you so much!廠

• Dear NAS71093,

Welcome to the Community!  I am sure you will receive other responses from the Community members, but in the meantime you might find it useful to look at some of the information on our website.

There is information about the support available for adults with autism here.

You can also search for specific issues in our Advice and Guidance section.

You might also find our Autism Services Directory useful to look for support and services in a particular area.

Finally, if you would like to speak to someone for more advice on an issue, you could contact out Helpline.  The details for the Helpline are here.

I hope that helps you find the information that you need.

Kind regards,

Kerri-Mod