Hi, I’m new

Hi, I joined this community because I’m hoping to find other people in a similar situation to mine. For several years I’ve thought that my adult daughter has Aspergers but, other than the online test, we haven’t pursued a diagnosis but recent events have made me think we should. FInding out about Aspergers and changing the way we interact with my daughter has really helped in heading off and minimising meltdowns, so we didn’t think that a diagnosis would do anything for her. But now she has some serious physical conditions requiring inpatient and outpatient consultations and treatments. Before covid someone would be allowed to go in with her to interpret for her as she is very literal and doesn’t always ‘get’ what’s being said to her, and explain her problem to medical staff as they usually don’t ‘get’ what she’s saying. Now she has to go in alone and becomes distressed and confused - sometimes this shows during the consultation and they think she’s selfish and obstructive but mostly it comes out later at home and we don’t always know exactly how she got to that meltdown so it makes it difficult to deal with. We think she would benefit from a diagnosis so that we could argue for someone to accompany her, but I’ve heard that assessments take months or years. Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of time as she has 2 young children who need their mother in a happier place. 

Parents
  • hi,

welcome to this forum,

you havent really asked a question  so i'll go this 

you can either get your GP to refer you for a NHS autism assessment --- takes about 2 years

OR

you go private which costs about 1000 quid 

also she can self declare yourself as autistic and  then ask that u attend her consultations and see what happens.

so try this NHS route

1.get GP to refer u for autism assessment

2.your daughter "self declares" as autistic

3. your daughter asks for u to attend any more medical appointments

his might work until u get an official diagnosis

but if u are  well off / rich

then 

a. start the private diagnosis

a.your daughter "self declares" as autistic in meantime

b. your daughter asks for u to attend any more medical appointments until the diagnosis arrives

• hi,

welcome to this forum,

you havent really asked a question  so i'll go this 

you can either get your GP to refer you for a NHS autism assessment --- takes about 2 years

OR

you go private which costs about 1000 quid 

also she can self declare yourself as autistic and  then ask that u attend her consultations and see what happens.

so try this NHS route

1.get GP to refer u for autism assessment

2.your daughter "self declares" as autistic

3. your daughter asks for u to attend any more medical appointments

his might work until u get an official diagnosis

but if u are  well off / rich

then 

a. start the private diagnosis

a.your daughter "self declares" as autistic in meantime

b. your daughter asks for u to attend any more medical appointments until the diagnosis arrives

Children
No Data