Hello there!

After a few days of lurking, I have now gathered my courage to speak... so hello!

I finally received my ASD diagnoses just two weeks ago, so I'm still coming to terms with it and I've still not reached a point, were I'm confident calling myself autistic (I still feel a bit like an imposter). So far, I've only told my partner, my mum, and my line manager at work.

The road to diagnosis has been long, though. Since my teens I've always looked for an explanation for my struggles and I've looked at the symptoms of every single mental illness twice, just to see if anything fit. I probably even looked at Asperger's a few times and dismissed it because I didn't feel it completely fit - I get very affected by certain emotions displayed by others and figured that didn't fit the whole "no empathy" thing. Then my counsellor told me that not everyone fit/show all symptoms the same way, so I went home and found anything and everything I could on how Asperger's/Autism is displayed (and missed) in girls/women... and then I knew!

I finally found the courage to go to my GP to get referred for ASD assessment after I asked my mum if she, looking back with the knowledge she has today, thought I may be autistic. She didn't even hesitate and gave me an instant "Yes". It's like I found the missing piece for this giant puzzle, and as I couldn't bear waiting 3 years (and had the money), I ended up going private. But I finally was told that yes, this is the piece of the puzzle and it's mine to keep!

• Yeah I think there needs to be a new subset on the spectrum empathetic aspergers! I take on my wife's moods and emotions. Pretty tricky when she is depressed. But I've learnt to leave her to it and concentrate on my own happiness. Everyone's guilty of a little road rage now and again. 

• I do and I tend to take on the emotions, like if people are angry, I get angry; if they're sad, I get sad. It's a constant battle with my partner who has the occasional road rage. A 5 min drive can sometimes mean I'm in a crappy mood for the rest of the day.

• Actually, that could be nice - I'm generally not very good with making friends and stuff (surprise, surprise), so it would be nice to meet up, once that's possible again.

I'm in Belfast.

• Hello. Im in the same boat as you. I kept telling myself I couldn't have aspergers because of a few things. My empathy being one of them. Do you ever get overwhelmed by others emotions? I do quite often. 

• which county are u in ---- me,  Co Antrim.   

well done you :)       My NHS ( northern health Board ) diagnosis took 2 years from  when I asked to be referred by my GP. I thought I had a form of anxiety ( social anxiety ) but was diagnosed with autism. I consider my self to be "High Functioning" "level 1"  autistic. 

• welcome to this forum  Slight smile

see you are from NI !

I am and so is 

maybe one day, way in the future, we can have a meetup no pressure

• I’m glad it’s helping you to move forward, and welcome Slight smile