New here. Bit dazed. Read lots this week.

Been signposted here by MIND after GP referred me to them. 

I dont have any diagnosis as such but after few sessions with MIND counsellir hes sent me link to the Baron Cohen self test - scored 28, would have been 29 apart from the silly do you notice sounds others don't - I'm hard of hearing Joy

So score is above the 16 4 average but not at the 32 or 34 threshold...though it's pretty much a binary test, if some of the q it scores you on had more weighting I'd be off the scale for some of them.

Poked around the main website and already see lot that makes sense to me - also see a lot of things making sense now in my dad who I've also scored knowing him as I do. Main difference is I get mood music, my dad never has. Have younger brother and hes clearly nowhere near either of us no need to score him. 

In demanding professional job 16 years now which I'm well suited to as it needs lots attention to detail, planning, thinking on feet, vision, public speaking and working with figures - suits me just fine and get on fine with clients,Thinkingmostly just the once face to face then follow up with email and calls. Rub along ok with most colleagues but dont do the social things as they're just not me and I dong belong there. But when I was younge did have my time partying hard at uni Thinking and have some good friends though come to think of it think would also score highly on the test

Live alone, mid 40s, have girlfriend who has her own house, am separated with young daughter I see regularly, that's all good, always had dogs since I got own house and started WFH...hah, instead of imaginary friends as kid, had imaginary dog Rolling eyes solitary hobbies...but I'm not antisocial, know when I'm giving out TMI, help friends, family and neighbours out, just prefer being by myself and while physical health could be better (have some comorbities) pretty fit, by and large look after myself except smoking, don't have trouble wandering through life day to day though I'm dealing with a mixed anxiety and depression disorder (formal diagnosis). 

From what I've read this week, seems chance I'm a high functioning aspie - not fazed by labels as such, and lot of sense coming out my research.and this site. Feels sort of home already and its early days yet. 

MIND guys said it's like being an apple mac in a PC world. I'd up that and say it's ike a betamax in a vhs world. 

Does this all sound typical ASD??

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks Adie. 

Next call with counsellor will be interesting, he must be on ball if he's spotted it when others haven't and if hes right this is powerful way to tackle the MADD. 

Guess working in fairly solitary job doing things I like for so long is lucky as I've not had work problems lot of others have as such. Also probably why it's taken so long to reach this point.