Sensory overload to sound

I have aspergers syndrome i just turned 28 finding different sounds all at once extremely overwhelming there can b the telly on someone playing video on tablet then another on phone just gives me headaches and meltdowns I want to try some wireless headphones what are lightweight ones do anyone have any ideas?

Parents
  • It sounds like you live with quite a few flat mates or family! Long term, it might be worthwhile to find a place with just one other human, at least one other introverted human :)  I've had flatmates who've used chemically scented candles, air fresheners, cleaning products and it is incredibly difficult to attempt to explain the physical reaction I get from them. But I grew up in a house like you've described, my mother needed everything on all the time. It was too much.

Headphones and ear plugs are temporary solutions. I love this company for ear plugs https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection.html But too much happening at home makes it incredibly difficult to focus or unwind or read... white noise can help cancel out sound as well. I find field recordings of birds or the ocean or rain (natural 'noise') can help as a range of frequencies mask sound better.

• It sounds like you live with quite a few flat mates or family! Long term, it might be worthwhile to find a place with just one other human, at least one other introverted human :)  I've had flatmates who've used chemically scented candles, air fresheners, cleaning products and it is incredibly difficult to attempt to explain the physical reaction I get from them. But I grew up in a house like you've described, my mother needed everything on all the time. It was too much.

Headphones and ear plugs are temporary solutions. I love this company for ear plugs https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection.html But too much happening at home makes it incredibly difficult to focus or unwind or read... white noise can help cancel out sound as well. I find field recordings of birds or the ocean or rain (natural 'noise') can help as a range of frequencies mask sound better.

Children
No Data