Hello, I'm new.

Hello.

I am a 24 year old male and have a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome (in addition to anxiety issues and social phobia). I found this website through searching for a place to discuss some of the difficulties I and other individuals on the autistic spectrum face. This seemed like a good place to do so.

About me-I was diagnosed in my teen years with Asperger's syndrome, though my parents had long suspected I had some form of autistic spectrum disorder a long time prior to then. I was bullied to an extreme extent at school, which has to this day left me with emotional scars and a sense of weariness around people my own age and younger. I am currently working through such things, however, and I'm hoping discussing things with people on this forum will assist me and others in accomplishing getting better with these issues.

On a lighter note, my main interests include biology (which I am currently studying a course of online through a distance learning course), particularly disciplines such as entomology, and also the visual arts. Specifically, I enjoy drawing (lots of animals such as insects in particular!) as well as visual media such as graphic novels and cartoons. 

Anyway, nice to meet you all, hope we can have some constructive discussions.

Parents
  • welcome ,

to this forum

i did a degree in biology. so I can only encourage your biology studies and recommend you make into university based research. It was a big surprise to me that we spent hours every week drawing what we saw down microscopes and during dissections. It like a fundamental part of biology whereby u learn to draw what u see and therefore be more careful what u do see and do not imagine !

your skills are therefore very relevant within biology and some of the drawings i have seen are real art in my eyes.

in uni, you will not be bullied, u will be judged by your biology skills where u will probably excel.

• Indeed, I have tried my hand at a bit of that sort of illustration in the past (with insect specimens, specifically). It's all of interest to me. I hope after I finish studying my current course (which is with a university that is entirely online), I'm hoping if I get the confidence to do so I might then go on to a more conventional, brick and mortar university. We'll see.

Anyway thank you for the welcome, nice to see you.

• Indeed, I have tried my hand at a bit of that sort of illustration in the past (with insect specimens, specifically). It's all of interest to me. I hope after I finish studying my current course (which is with a university that is entirely online), I'm hoping if I get the confidence to do so I might then go on to a more conventional, brick and mortar university. We'll see.

Anyway thank you for the welcome, nice to see you.

Children