Hey

Hey, I'm Rob, just got diagnosed with ASD at the age of thirty-five, always knew I had traits of the condition but I didn't think I actually had ASD, so the last month or so has felt pretty weird, right now if feels like the world has changed somehow so I'm feeling quite lost and confused, but I'm hoping this place will help me better understand my condition and hopefully make life a bit easier than it has been prior to my diagnosis. 

Cheers :) 

• Hi Rob!

This is the 2nd post in the space of 5 mins where someone else has said they got diagnosed at 35 Open mouth, there must be something about "35" that is magic lol

I was diagnosed on my 35th birthday in March this year, a week before we went into lockdown. I have also been struggling with my diagnosis which hasnt been helped by the constraints of Covid etc. 

I'm working my way around it alright at the minute but I'll keep that in mind as it's a different layout than the other one I use so I did struggle initially.

Thanks for the welcome :) 

• Welcome! Give a shout if you need any help getting around the forum 

• In a way, a diagnosis is a relief because you know there is a reason for everything but it is quite a major thing to process. Just take your time with it. I think things like OCD and anxiety feed into ASD so it may not be easy to attribute certain feelings and behaviours to a specific diagnosis. 

• Yeah I can relate entirely to the feeling as if your identity has been replaced, that's absolutely how I feel. I was diagnosed with OCD at sixteen and have dealt with poor mental health for most of my life, and until now I blamed that for a lot of my issues, like not being able to focus or concentrate and being irritable very often, but now I'm sort of puzzled as to what exactly causes what xD

Like you though I do feel it's something to have an answer, albeit surrounded by a lot of new questions. But I don't feel stupid or slow anymore like I have so many times in the past before I had this explanation, so that is something :) 

• Hello! I am 27 years old and was diagnosed this week with ASD. I am also feeling completely lost despite knowing for a few years that this diagnosis may be coming. I think my feeling of being lost comes from previous diagnoses which have turned out to be wrong. I described it as every time I get a new diagnosis, I feel as though my whole identity is questioned and replaced. This is a strange feeling and leaves you wondering who you actually are beneath it all. I am trying to use the diagnosis as a new start - without the constraints of misdiagnosed mental health problems and the ever looming question of "why am I not like other people?" At least now we have the answer. 

• start a discussion on something u are passionate about . Put it in the Autistic adults section.

• Hey :) 

Thanks for the welcome and the advice :) 

• you dont have to but I recommend you add some  details to your profiles so u connect with more people eg favourite music.art,films, art , hobbies etc what u work at, any other diagnosis as well as autism, games

• feel free to join in with any of the discussions , maybe open a new discussion in the autistic adults area about anything you want to talk about 

• first welcome to the  forum