diagnosed quite late in life

diagnosed at 62. it's been extremely difficult - losing  many of the few friends i'd accumulated. i'd always been extremely anxious at work, and was a mid level tech. i think i was mid level only because i 'looked' and 'acted' like a tech guy, lol... so, kind of a charade. found out i have many extreme sensitivities, but that kind of allows me to make sense out of why i've been so anxious my entire life. i've also developed some stereotypical asd (don't mean to offend anyone) habits or mannerisms post-diagnosis. weird! like, i'll literally immerse myself in new hobbies, just inhaling them (currently surf fishing) like a ravenous maniac... the few remaining acquaintances i have ... i guess they have to accept my asd. it's part of who i am, and i try not to bore them w it, but i feel i'm a different person now, frankly, than i was pre--diagnosis.

oh, and i found out although i've always been completely taciturn in my life, now i can go on and on....... so i have to watch that. oh, and i'm a yank, from california. hope that's ok. 

Parents
  • I'm 3.5 months in. The first two months were hard, i was totally consumed, reading loads, making sense of my past. Then suddenly I felt 'me' was coming back. I've been told the first twelve months still involve a lot of settling into it, and even another three then to fully assimulate it. It's been good for me. Yes, some mannerisms have been accentuated, but mostly it's been about explaining stuff to myself.

It's nice being on here, so stick around!

• I'm 3.5 months in. The first two months were hard, i was totally consumed, reading loads, making sense of my past. Then suddenly I felt 'me' was coming back. I've been told the first twelve months still involve a lot of settling into it, and even another three then to fully assimulate it. It's been good for me. Yes, some mannerisms have been accentuated, but mostly it's been about explaining stuff to myself.

It's nice being on here, so stick around!

Children
  • ty for the welcome... it's so refreshing, as in typical life, welcomes are rare, frankly. i guess i generally assume many will backfire, once aspects of my asd come out. the first two or is it three years have been so difficult. still figuring out what i am, what sensitivities, how to communicate better, and how to i guess winnow out who my true friends are, and who the folk who'd, well, just as soon not be around me are. altho it's been hard, really hard, i *think* it's better to know what 'it' is, than not know what it is.